12.3: A Realization

Start from the beginning

Lindsay knew she hit some kind of nerve within the two as she noticed Noin stopped washing her hair. A few moments later, she continued. "... I'm not supposed to ask about her, am I?"

"... We were simply astonished that the Baron has never spoken of her to you, m'lady."

"I guess... I never wanted to ask until now."

"Lady Oerh was a lovely Lady of Esperia. She was valiant and uncompromising. However, her love for the Baron was rather apparent. There was high regard for her during her reign." Asi stated.

"So... wait, you said her reign...?"

"Yes."

"... Her reign..."

"... M'lady, who do you believe rules Esperia and the Ecilavi galaxy?"

"... The Royal Magistrate!"

"No, m'lady. It is the Lady of Esperia." Asi gave her an easy smile. Lindsay couldn't respond for a moment; she settled in the water, going over what they revealed to her. It wouldn't be herself and Areiv ruling the galaxy but... herself.

"The Esperian women... are in majority here, aren't they?" she remembered the guards she saw on the route to the palace; all were female.

"It is true that most hold important positions; your regiment will be composed largely of female Esperians. Any Esperian can be born a warrior whether male or female. However, the sergeant-at-arms has always been female; the two of you will command the Esperian army."

"I'll... have an army..." Lindsay reflected back to the Rerecro. It wasn't a mere symbol of courage but the Lady of Esperia's battle sword. "So, there are wars here."

"Not since the death of Lady Oerh. She... suffered injuries in our last conflict, a surprise attack." Asi explained, her eyes dropping to the floor. Lindsay swallowed the lump caught in her throat.

"Areiv must've been devastated..."

"Indeed, he was, as were the rest of Esperia. A good thing he was an annual span away from enlisting into the army; he would have been by Lady Oerh when she was attacked if not a close observer to her demise."

"... Wow. Did he... act out afterwards?"

"I do not understand, m'lady."

"Was he rebellious? On Earth, depending on how close you are to your parents, for them to die when you're young, most kids do things they usually wouldn't."

"Ah. The Baron became terribly distraught over the loss of Lady Oerh. He did not smile or show amusement. He also did not enlist as required the following span and therefore forced to participate in the Great Buno Races. He did not take well to it; for quite some time, the Royal Magistrate and himself did not speak to one another. His demeanor took a turn for the worse, to where we were concerned the Baron would not find someone to mate with in time."

"He eventually spoke to the Royal Magistrate once more. We still dreaded that he would not mate; he declined outings regularly. Then, news spread of his outings with you. We were... hopeful. We were most pleased with the discovery of your courtship; we had not seen the Baron this elated in many spans."

"A true blessing, indeed!" Asi nearly smiled but caught herself and bowed. Lindsay had no words to express and laid in silence, grinning to herself.

"Forgive us, m'lady; we have devoted enough time here. Your gown for the feast should be prepared by now; the Royal Magistrate does not wish you tardy." Noin announced as she lifted Lindsay's head. She covered her dreadlocks in a towel that felt like silk as Asi offered her a larger one to wrap around her body. Whereas the water tingled, the towels appeared to warm her.