Six

Hey. You busy?

I smiled widely at the message on my phone screen. It had become an everyday thing since my birthday. She'd text asking what I was doing and we'd hang out. Sometimes it would just be studying other times we'd watch movies but to be honest, I didn't care about what we did. I just enjoyed spending time with her.

To Normani: No. Not really what's up?

I waited for the three little bubbles to pop up but surprisingly, they never did. I frowned about to give up hope, until the door to my dorm opened and Normani walked in.

"Hey Mani. Um, how'd you get in?"

"I just passed Ally. She said she was doing laundry but she let me in. Want to go to the beach?" She asked stepping in front of me, she tilted her head slightly

"The beach? Normani y-"

"Come on, Lauren! It's warm! And it's only like 10 minutes away please?" She grabbed my arm pulling gently. I didn't budge. "Don't act like you have anything better to do. Come with me. We can picnic?"

"But I'm tired. I-"

"Great so yes. Grab what you're taking and let's go." She stood against the doorframe with a smug smile on her face.

"You know what? You're going to have to start sending me 3 days notice before you come in here forcing me to get up." I huffed, dramatically grabbing my phone and camera from my bed. She laughed while leading me outside.

"You'll be okay. Besides, it wouldn't be as fun if you knew I was coming."
//
I can't believe we're actually at the beach on a Sunday afternoon when I could be in bed being lazy. I really can't say no to her.

"Are you still pouting, Jauregui?" Mani asked pulling an extra sandwich from her bag. I took it from her, sticking out my tongue.

"I'm not pouting. I'm actually enjoying myself. And the sand." I picked up a nearby stick, drawing small flowers beside her.

"Yes because you're literally five years old." She grabbed a stick of her own scribbling over what I drew. I gasped placing my hand over my heart, mocking pain.

"Five?! Only five? I'd say I'm at least six and a half."

"Yes of course you would. My five year old cousin says she's 17. That's why we just ignore her." She giggled writing her name in fancy letters, this time I was the one to ruin hers.

"You're an asshole." I wrote the word as I said it and placed small smiley face beside it.

"And yet here you are, still sitting right beside me. Must not bother you too much."

She was right. It didn't bother me at all. In fact, I loved it. Her constant teasing and showing up uninvited. I wish I could somehow block the feelings out. I wasn't used to them- not so strongly at least.

"What's up, Lo? Where's your head?" Mani asked reaching towards my face. She brushed a few strands of hair from my cheek, curling it behind my ear.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to space out. I was just thinking.."

"About...?" She waved her hand trying to get more details from me.

"About me. And you. Kind of...I'm just worried if that makes sense." From her face, I could tell that it most definitely did not make sense. I sighed softly and tried again. "When I'm around you I feel sort of out of control. It scares me. I usually have these walls built up around me but with you they're just..gone."

"Well that's good, isn't it?" I didn't answer. "Lauren you don't need to hide yourself from me. I like you a lot, you know. I don't plan on hurting you. I really like our friendship, Lo."

Friendship?? This is just a friendship? I'm just a friend? Nothing more? Am I overthinking? Probably. Just let it go, Lauren.

I put on my most convincing smile and ran a hand through my hair. This date was not getting ruined by my obsessive thoughts.

"I like you too Normani. A lot." I reached for her hand and laced our fingers together. "I guess I'm thankful for you interrupting my work session back in the coffee shop." Her hand tightened on mine just as she let out the cutest laugh. I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that.

"I'm glad you actually texted me. You've kept me entertained these past few months. A lot more than any of my other friends would have." There goes that f-word again...

"Right...Normani I-" am I really going to try to have "The Talk" right now? Especially when I could just be sitting with her enjoying the sunset? Hell no.

"What is it Lauren?" She frowned dropping my hand. "Are you okay? Like honestly?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Sorry. I was just wondering if I could take some pictures of you. I brought the camera." It was a lie, but the camera was here and she was beautiful so I didn't mind using up the memory on her.

She seemed skeptical at first then nodded with a smile, showing off her pearly white teeth. She stood up walking over towards the water then posed.

"Here, take one like this." She looked back over her shoulder sending me another award winning smile. I took a few pictures after each change of her pose, smiling at the results. She's a natural.

"You're very photogenic!" I called, raising my voice to compete with the howling wind. The once colorful sunset turned a dull gray as the sky filled with dark clouds. It's definitely going to rain. "Maybe we should go?" I gathered our things walking up towards her. She was quiet for a moment then hummed.

"You want to leave?"

"Well, no. I...it's about to rain. I figured you wouldn't want to be out here when it's starts. We can still hang out if you want?" If it were up to me, I'd spend every waking moment with her. Although, now I'm not exactly sure if she feels the same. Maybe platonically. Part of me feels like I'm overreacting because I tend to do that, but what if I'm not? What if for once my suspicions are correct and she-

"Lauren?" Normani's soft voice pulls me out of my drowning thoughts, her finger tilting my chin up towards her. "Did you hear me?"

"No. I'm sorry. I was...well yeah. What did you say?" She probably thinks I hate her. I've been doing nothing but having this fucking inner monologue running through my head this entire time. So much for being present, right?

"I said," she emphasizes the word, sighing afterwards. " I don't think I can hang out after we leave. Something came up."

"W-what? You can't...this wasn't because of me right? I'm sorry. I know that I've been-"

"No, I forgot I had already told someone that I would go to the movies with them. We're going to see Justice League." She grabbed the blanket from my hands as well as her phone and started walking back to her car. I quickly tossed our trash into a nearby can then ran to catch up with her. She was already inside.

"Who are you going with?" I connected my seatbelt watching her readjust her mirrors. She chuckled softly and turned on the radio.

"A friend."

A friend like me? I wanted to ask, but the question seemed stuck in my throat. I couldn't really say much of anything.

"Oh well um tell me how the movie is I guess." My reply was less than happy and I'm sure she could sense it but I didn't care. I was bummed out, though I wasn't completely sure why.

The drive was quiet minus the low sounds of Beyoncé playing from the radio and the soft beat of raindrops hitting the car. Not so much in an awkward sense but tensions were high. At least on my side. Normani was humming along to each song quietly with a wide smile on her face. Some friend.

"Well, I'll text you alright?" She parked outside of the building turning her body towards me.

"Yep. Sounds good." I was almost fully out the car when she pulled me back, placing her lips on mine. This time, I was the one to pull away. "Have fun, Normani."

"I'll try." And with that, she pulled off down the street. I wasn't completely sure what was going on with that girl but at this point I didn't know if I wanted to stick around to find out.

A/n: trouble in paradise? Perhaps!