Five

"Yo. Lauren. You have a visitor." I groaned loudly tossing the book I was reading onto my bed. All I wanted to do today was be a loner and read. Was that so much to ask for? After all it's my birthday. I should get what I want. "Come on Lauren. She isn't going to wait all day."

After a dramatic huff, I stood up from my bed and walked towards the front of the flat. I was pleasantly surprised to see Normani standing there with a single red rose in her hand. Cute.

"Um Mani...what's going on? What are you doing here?" I asked, slowly running my hands through my hair. I knew it had to look a mess right now; I've been laying in bed all day. But, hey, at least I was dressed!

"I'm taking you out, Lo. I can't believe you didn't tell me it was your birthday! I had to find out from Ally." She hit my arm playfully then smiled "but, alas, I'm here and you and I are going out to eat. Oh, and here." She handed me the rose and I took it holding it awkwardly. I hate birthdays. The attention can be so overwhelming.

"Thanks Mani. Really. But I'm not going anywhere. I look-"

"Amazing. As always. Go get shoes and come on." I stared silently waiting for her to change her mind, but she didn't. "Go on, I'm a busy girl you know."

I rolled my eyes at her but pulled on my shoes and walked out the door anyway. I was going, but I wasn't going to be happy about it.

"So what's up with you? Most people would jump at an opportunity to celebrate their birthday."

We were at the restaurant now, it took longer than she wanted because I spent most of our time together trying to convince her to just go to the drive through then take me back home. I hadn't really said much. She didn't seem to be bothered by it though, her smile hadn't faltered once.

"I'm just not the celebrating type. There's nothing special about it. It's just another day. Thank you for taking me out though. I do appreciate it, even though it probably doesn't seem like it." I shrugged poking my fork around my salad. I stopped suddenly at the warm sensation of her hand on mine. My arm felt numb.

"Don't say that," she frowned looking into my eyes. She seemed genuinely upset. "It is special. It's a celebration of everything you've accomplished over the year and a celebration of making it through all the troubles you've faced- even when it felt like you wouldn't. Plus, it's pretty much a huge excuse to get drunk." I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips.

"Yeah I guess...but I don't drink. Not anymore at least. Those days are behind me." I flicked my eyes down to where her thumb was slowly rubbing over the top of my hand then back into her brown orbs. She started laughing too.

"Behind you? You just turned 21. Today is when you're supposed to go all out. I can't believe you were in bed sleeping."

"Ha. Ha. I wasn't sleeping. I was reading. But anyway! I just don't have very good experiences with alcohol- or birthdays. Especially when you mix them together." I explained reluctantly moving my hand away from hers so I could eat. She nodded showing her understanding of what I said just before a smirk formed on her face.

"And here I thought you were just a goody two shoes. It's nice to be proven wrong."

"Yeah?" She nodded "well, I still have yet to be proven wrong for my first impression of you being a dick." I snapped sticking out my tongue. She gasped dramatically, placing her hands over her heart.

"Ouch. Low blow, Lolo." She breathed deeply then let out a soft sigh, "sadly, you will never be proven wrong since I am in fact a dick. You'll learn to love it."

"Oh I doubt that." I joked dodging a noodle when it came flying towards me. I retaliated by throwing a piece of cucumber at her, but to my surprise she caught it in her mouth and chewed happily. "Wow. First popcorn now this? Is there anything that won't fit in your mouth?" I asked widening my eyes once I realized how bad it sounded coming out.

"Wait. No don't answer that. I mea-" She burst into laughter while my cheeks started to heat up to new extremes. I covered my face groaning when her laughter increased. I honestly think she had tears in her eyes at this point. "Normani stoopp!"

"I-I can't. I'm sorry. I haven't laughed that hard in ages." She could barely get the words out past her laughing and giggles. She's so annoying. But god is her laugh so cute. I wouldn't mind if this was the only thing I could hear for the rest of my life.

"Whew! Okay. I'm done. Thank you for that. Now, since I've thoroughly embarrassed you, I'll do something nice. Happy birthday." She reached under the table then sat a neatly wrapped box in front of me. "Open it."

"Wait no. I don't want this. You should not have bought me anything. I don't like gif-"

"Girl if you don't shut up and open it." I pressed my lips into a thin line then peeled off the paper. She's so stubborn. I balled it up, sitting it beside my empty plate then turned to look at the box.

"Holy shit. Normani you...I can't accept this from you. This is fucking amazing.." it was a brand new digital camera. It came with a few different lenses and SD cards. It was expensive as hell- I should know I've been saving up for one for years. "You shouldn't have spent that much on me. Honestly Normani thank you but..."

"Stop. Before you say anything further, I didn't buy it. I've had it since last Christmas but I'm not much of a photographer. I don't even know why I bought it for myself." She giggled shrugging her shoulders, "Please tell me you'll keep it?"

"I can't believe this..but yeah. Sure. Thank you, Mani." I smiled widely, reaching across the table to hug her. I pulled back slightly but before I could get too far she had a firm grip on my chin holding me in place.

"I'm going to kiss you, is that okay?" I nodded and closed my eyes waiting for her to make her move. I've been yearning to feel her lips since the first time she kissed me. It was over too soon and I refused to make the same mistake again.

As soon as her lips pressed onto mine, warmth spread throughout my body. They were so soft they enclosed around mine perfectly. I kissed back sliding my hand behind her neck to hold her close to me.

I never wanted to leave this moment but unfortunately, we needed to breathe and from the pain in my lungs, I was sure I only had seconds before passing out. She pulled away giggling as pink tint spread across my cheeks.

"We should probably go. This isn't exactly restaurant etiquette." I couldn't breathe enough to make a sentence so I settled for just nodding.

It wasn't until we were outside walking that I was brought back to the present. I looked down at our interlaced fingers blushing deeply. How long have they been like that?

"I hope you enjoyed being out just a little bit, Lo. I know how you feel about getting your full 12 hours of sulking." Normani joked lifting my hand up to her lips.

"Again, I wasn't sulking, I was reading." I corrected bumping her hip with mine. She scoffed resting her arms on my shoulders.

"Suree. Anyway, I'm sorry I can't spend the rest of the day with you. I promised Dinah I'd help her pack. I'll see you later?" She turned me around to face her and tilted her head. I nodded, smiling softly.

"Yeah. Sure. Thank you, Normani. I..." I hesitated for a moment then leaned in and pecked her lips "I'll see you around."

Maybe falling for her won't be so bad.