B Y G O N E

Shopping takes longer than she expects. She doesn't realize how many things she wanted or needed until they are laying out in front of her, and she finds herself having to refrain from spending too much.

She has to make a several trips back and forth to her car, and it's a tedious process the she hopes to never relive. She's trying to shove her new Oriental rug into the crowded backseat of her car when she hears a sudden uproar of noise behind her.

It's a bunch of kids piling out of one of the buildings lining the sidewalk, accompanied by their parents and splitting off every which way to their respective cars, she somehow misses her little sister. She turns around and goes back to trying to fit her new rug into her backseat. It's far too big.

Camila finds herself getting frustrated. She gets really upset easily nowadays. The littlest things can make her want to pull her hair out, she can feel her mood taking a turn for the worst as she slams her palm against the roof of her car.

"Need help?"

The voice is surprisingly close, and Camila lets out a startled noise as she spins around. Her heart rate picks up immediately, but when she sees who it is, she slowly begins to calm down. Familiar grey eyes are staring down at her, and Camila feels a clenching in her chest at the sight of them.

"You don't have to, I don't think it will fit" Camila finally finds her voice, and clears her throat uncomfortably.

Roberta waves a dismissive hand, and then bends down at the waist to duck into the backseat of Camila's car. Camila steps back quickly, her bottom lip caught between her teeth. She keeps her eyes trained on the sidewalk beneath her feet, wondering what she's going to do when the girl is unable to make the rug fit.

"Got it!" Roberta says victoriously.

She steps back without looking behind her, bumping into Camila as a result. Camila reaches out on pure instinct, her hands grabbing onto Roberta's waist to keep herself from being knocked over. Roberta's back collides with Camila's front, and for a moment all Camila can smell is the girl's shampoo.

It smells a lot like cinnamon.

When Camila finally takes note to the precarious position they are now in, she immediately shrinks back, pulling her hands away from Roberta's waist quickly.

"S-sorry" Camila stammers pitifully, her face heating up as Roberta laughs and spins around to face her.

"It's fine" Roberta doesn't looked bothered in the slightest, but Camila still wishes the ground would open up and swallow her whole. "I like your hands. Wait, no! I meant that I...I like your rug, the thing I just put into your car. I mean I'm sure I'd like your...wait no"

Camila stands there and watches as Roberta talks to herself into a circle, and she doesn't know whether to laugh or be offended. She raises an eyebrow as Roberta continues to stammer and trip over her words.

"I just...I like the color. Of the rug" Roberta pinches the bridge of her nose, looking mortified. Camila thinks it's incredibly endearing.

"Thanks, I like it too"

Roberta stares at her for a moment, as if to see if that joke was intentional, and then she is laughing hysterically. Camila stares on in mild awe as Roberta's head tilts back, and her eyes inadvertently take in the graceful slope of the girl's neck. When Roberta's laughter eventually teeters off, they are left standing awkwardly.

Silence occupies them, both of them unsure of what to say next.

"Well I should go"

"Do you want to get coffee sometime?"