Cal

My vision blurred. Mare was on the ground bleeding out, gasping. All the lights from the Rift are flickering. I place a gentle warm hand and cup her cheek. "You will be fine Mare. You will get through this." She is coughing up blood now. Her face is flushed pale-white, her touch cold against my warmth. "Cal, promise. To. Save. The. Baby." She barely whispers. DAMMIT I am losing her!
As I open my mouth to speak some other voice interrupts me. This voice is cold, pathetic and filled with lifelong built anger.

Maven.

"Hello brother, miss me? I see the little lightning girl is finally dying." He has the audacity to laugh. My skin boils to the touch. I choose to ignore my dear little brother and keep Mare comfort, she is slowly slipping away. "Sara! Julian!" I despairingly yell. She needs to make it, she needs to.

Fast footsteps fill the now empty air, only Maven's cackle remains. Sara emerges from the fog and quickly does her best to heal Mare. My eyes are drowning in tears, knowing that this may be the end for Mare. The lightning girl. The one I truly loved. Julian follows quickly arriving with reds that'll help carry her back to the Rift.

My gaze intently follows Sara and Julian giving them an acknowledging nod, knowing that if I speak I will break. I take a few moments to gather myself to face Maven. His face pale as always accompanied by the icy blue orbits he calls eyes. He grins fiercely.
"What do you want Maven?" My tone firm never wavering like my father taught me.
"Well, well my big brother. I can finally say I won the war," he cackles into the heavy atmosphere,"I first take your girl, then your crown and your girl again." I growl just knowing that he also took an innocent life today and I made sure he knew.
"You also took away Mare and I's child and you will pay for that." My teeth grinding and my mouth spitting out the words, threatening to set the world on fire.
Maven deemed shocked, but quickly recovered. "You know I'm pleased with the pain I have caused you today," and with that he retrieved into the woods. I send signal to new bloods and silvers to attack. When they finally disappear into the woods my knees buckle. I throw my fists onto the grass and begin to sob for the lives of Mare and my child.

Will Mare and the baby survive? Will the Rift's soldiers capture Maven?

I am so sorry for not updating! I didn't think this was one of my best works. Please make sure to take a look at my romance original also related to Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen.