Waiting

"It's your Mom." Camila sighed with relief and stopped tapping her fingers on the table, taking the phone from her best friend. "You can't keep thinking she's dead every time the phone rings Camila." Dinah rolled her eyes. "Lauren is a strong girl, why do you think they accepted her into the US Forces?" "Hold on Mami." Camila said and covered the phone. "I know Dinah but I'm in love with her, I can't help but think of her all the time, let alone worry about her." "I know you love her but I really think you should try and distract yourself. Maybe take a class or something." Dinah suggested. "Yeah right." The doorbell rang and Camila sighed. "I'll call you back Mom. Dinah answer the door." "No! Why should I? I don't even live here!" Camila huffed and stormed to the door, looking behind her as she did. "You're not a very helpful best friend. You're meant to send people away for me. I don't even want visitors." She opened the door and gasped when she turned around. "I mean I can go.." Lauren teased was stood at the door in her standard army position. "Well say something!" Lauren laughed. "Lauren!" Camila let out a sob and wrapped her arms around her wife and giggled. "Hi baby girl." "You're back." Camila cried into her shoulder, squeezing her tight. Lauren smiled and kissed the side of her head. "Who's at the damn door then?" Dinah came out and grinned. "Lauren!" "Hi Dinah." She smiled over Camila's shoulder. "Where's my hug Jauregui?" "On hold. I'm a little stuck." "Mila quit it I want to hug her!" Camila sniffed and wiped her eyes. Lauren moved to the side and hugged Dinah. "Ugh, we missed you loser." "I missed you guys too. Camz, where are Jacob and Eleanor? I wanna hug my babies." Lauren asked about their adopted children. "At school Lo, you know, where kids go in the weekdays?" Lauren pouted. "Why don't we surprise them at school? They won't mind." Dinah suggested. "Can we Camz??" Lauren's eyes brightened, a grin plastered on her face. "Um.." "It's been 7 months." Dinah deadpanned. "Alright." Camila laughed. "I'm very sorry to interrupt his class like this Miss Johnson." Camila apologised as the head teacher lead the girls down the hall. "It's no problem. Thank you for your service Mrs Jauregui." "My pleasure, ma'am." Lauren smiled politely. "Wait here. I'll call you in." Lauren and Camila waited outside. "I'm so excited." Lauren squealed to her wife making Camila smile in adoration. "Class, sorry to interrupt Mr Howard, I have a very important surprise guest here to see someone." Everyone looked up curiously. "Jacob?" The 7 year old boy looked up from his desk. "Yes Miss?" The headteacher nodded to Lauren and the girl walked in. "Hi Jakey." Jake covered his mouth and his face crumpled up. "Aw he's crying!" Camila pouted. "Well come and give me a hug then!" Lauren laughed. Jacob ran into Lauren's arms and she picked him up, his body clinging to hers like a monkey. The whole class clapped and aww'd at the reunion. "Mommy are you back?" "Yeah kiddo, Mommy's home!" Camila pouted and stroked their son's hair as he cried into Lauren's shoulder. "Which class is Eleanor in?" Camila asked. "Math." "She'll be glad to get out of that." Camila joked. "C'mon bud, lets go surprise Ella." Camila took her son's hand. "Eleanor Jauregui?" The headteacher called out. The 12 year old turned around from the whiteboard suspiciously. "Oh God. Am I in trouble?" Lauren laughed outside the door. "No honey, you're not. I have a surprise for you." Lauren came in the room. "You're in trouble if I don't get a hug." Eleanor turned around and screamed. Lauren giggled and spun the girl around in her arms. "Are you happy baby?" Camila asked and the girl cried and nodded. "Jacob and Eleanor, you're both excused for the rest of the day to catch up with your mother." Jacob and Eleanor hugged Lauren tightly and sniffled. "Thank you Miss!" "Thank you!" Lauren pouted at her wife and smiled. "C'mon kids, let's go, let the class get back to work."