Chapter Eighteen

Jonathan peeled the flap of the tent back, stepping inside and shaking his head. Rain drops flew in a wide arc, splattering those seated inside.

"Watch what yer doin' Five Strikes." Campbell's arm shot out but missed the younger man.

"Sorry." Jonathan put his hands up and walked to the other side of the tent.

Eli and the workmen sat around, lanterns hanging from the diagonal wooden posts. The lights swung as the tent covering was jostled by the wind and rain.

"As I was saying," Eli spoke, narrowing his eyes at Jonathan, "Ayers found some papers that shows Dodge and Durant have been using us. They've been getting us to make the track longer 'cause they get paid by the mile. And here we are with no pay!"

The group grumbled, one lashing out and kicking something over.

"I say we've had enough. It's time they learned we're not gonna take it anymore. With Durant and General Casement gone, and Dodge out of commission, we'll be the ones calling the shots." Eli smiled as the men grew more and more enthusiastic.

"What about Dan Casement?" Campbell asked.

"Yeah, and that kid who's supposed to be helpin' us." Ayers glared at Jonathan, knowing he had spent time with them.

"All of them will be held accountable. But, for now gentlemen, we are officially on strike!" Eli stood, thrusting his fist into the air. The others copied him, heartily shouting their assent.

Jake stood in front of Dan's desk wringing his hands. "Has there been any news? Has anyone seen them?"

Dan rolled his eyes and looked up from his papers. "For the last time, nothing has been reported."

"But what about-"

The door to the caboose flung open, one of the younger cut crew workers almost tripping in his haste. "S-Sir?"

"What is it?" Dan shifted his tired and bloodshot gaze from Jake to the newcomer. The pressure of the events was getting to him.

"There's a problem at the station, sir. It's the workers."

Dan looked to Jake, who held his hands up and shook his head. He pushed himself to his feet.

Jake had only been at the roaming camp for a few days, but he could tell something was different this morning. Where there had previously been a procession of tired men clambering aboard horse-drawn carts to begin their long day of hard labour, the debarkation area was now empty. A line of men stood at the station, looking angry and markedly leaderless.

Dan took on the tough persona his brother was better known for, and approached them. "What's the problem here Samuel?"

One of the men crossed his arms and stepped forward. "We ain't workin'."

Dan smirked. "Well that is obvious. The question is 'why'."

Jake looked back and forth between the two fronts. He was already worried about Eric and didn't want more trouble.

"We're on strike until we get our pay," Samuel said, his men grunting their approval.

"And you think not working will get you your money?"

Samuel fell silent, looking to his men for help. "Ah. Eli says we're on strike." He cleared his throat and gave a sharp nod.

"And where is your noble leader?"

Eli slammed his shot glass down on the table. "Another round!" His friends laughed and applauded.

Ryan strode into the dance hall. He stood over them, eyes only on Eli. "What's going on Eli? Why aren't we working?"

Eli leaned back and threw his arm around the serving girl. "Why don't you ask your friend who's buddying-it-up with Casement."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're friend - skinny, four eyed lad - he's friends with Casement," Eli spoke like he was explaining to a child. "They're the enemy, and if you cross the picket line, you will be too."

Ayers leaned over to his leader. "Are we actually gonna stand in the line?"

Eli shook his head. "Nah, let's just stay here and drink."

"Yeah."

"What makes you think Casement won't just fire us all and get new workers?" It seemed the logical thing for him to do, Ryan thought.

"And risk the funders pulling out when they fall behind schedule?" Eli laughed. "They'll be bending over backwards to get us to work, any minute now."

Ryan rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Ryan," Reb's voice called from the front door.

He spun around, spotting Reb and their blue-haired friend. He left Eli and his drinking buddies. "I take it you know about the strike?"

Harley nodded. "Yeah I was gonna check on Kate and see if she needed any help here." She gestured to the harried-looking woman behind the bar. Despite the concern of others, her business was enduring.

"She's doing better than Jake. Apparently he's not too popular right now."

"Colour me shocked," Reb said.

"Did Eric say anything about this happening?" He asked her, knowing she was closer to him than the others.

Reb shrunk back, wrapping her arms around herself. "No."

"So what if this wasn't supposed to happen? What if us being here caused it?"

Reb shrugged, not the response Ryan was hoping for.

He tried again. "So what happens if they don't go back to work?"

"Railroad shuts down, they don't get any pay or food, and they either go home or are stuck out here." Reb counted the points on her fingers.

Harley looked longingly out the front doors. "I wish Eric was here. We might need to leave before it gets hairy." The group ventured back into the dance hall, sticking close together.

At a nearby table, with his back to them, sat Jonathan. He was thankful he sat alone. There was no way he could talk after all he had overheard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your comments below and check out our official website to find out how you can contribute to this revolutionary new collaborative story series!