Chapter Two

"I'm telling you, it's a sign." Harley gestured up to the heavens.

Jake shook his head. "It's a history class, of course they're going to talk about history."

The two made their way up the path to Smith House, where they had been living for the past three weeks. The near-dilapidated two-story house was stuffed with seven young adults, so it wasn't any surprise to hear clattering and raised voices before they reached the front steps.

"Ah," she held a finger up. "But it's not just about history. It's about how it affects us today, and we should know that better than anyone."

Jake opened the door for Harley and gestures for her to go first.

"Finally you're home." An unamused Reb walked right up to Harley. "He'll be here any minute."

"Who?" Jake asked his twin sister. Their relationship had failed to mend during this period together, so he wasn't surprised when she addressed her answer to Harley.

"You're the one who wanted to throw Eric a surprise birthday party, and then you left me to do all the work."

Jake looked around at the meagre decorations. "Oh yes, this must have taken hours." His sarcastic tone was noted but unappreciated.

"Yeah, this is looking a little dulls-ville. Let's get this party started!" Harley tossed her bag to the side and bounded past Reb and into the house.

"Yeah well, it's not like I got much help."

Reb gestured towards Aadita and Ryan who sat on the couch - Aadita with her head in a textbook, and the burly football player watching amusedly as Harley hustled about.

An assortment of food and soft-drinks littered the makeshift table Eric had constructed for them following their foray into the Middle Ages. There wasn't much in the way of decorations, so Harley tried to create the perfect music playlist to help set the mood.

Jake closed the door behind them. He lowered himself onto the armchair, only to be yanked away.

"We've all got to be standing by the door ready to yell surprise." Harley grabbed them one-by-one.

"Is yelling really necessary?" Aadita asked, semi-serious.

"Yes," Harley answered, reaching out and pulling Ryan to his feet.

Aadita stood on her own, the group congregating near the door.

"Surprise!"

"Achooo!" Eric quickly covered his face, wiping his nose on his sleeve.

"That's gross." Jake shook his head and sat on the couch, immediately opening a textbook.

"What's going on?" Eric asked, dropping his backpack.

Harley skipped forward. "It's your surprise birthday party!" She flung her arms around him.

"Yeah man, happy birthday." Ryan headed straight for the non-healthy snack foods and soft-drinks.

Eric struggled to speak. "How-How did you know?"

"Reb mentioned it was today." Harley looked over her shoulder to Reb.

Eric turned to Reb, grinning. "That was meant to stay between us!"

Reb shrugged, trying to conceal her smile.

Ryan rolled his eyes, the will-they-won't-they game was starting to bore him.

Eric was still in shock. "Oh, well, thanks guys. I appreciate it." His smile began to waver. His energy wading as the flu took its toll. None seemed to notice, and instead congregated around the table.