Chapter Twelve

Once the photograph was taken and the equipment loaded onto the cart, Durant hurried them off to the first stop. There were three horses in all, two pulling carts. Jack commanded the solo horse, leading the way. Bartholomew and Nathaniel each rode a horse. The former carried the visitors in the cart, the latter their equipment.

It did not take long for them to reach their destination.

"Our first stop is the railhead. I'll let Mr Casement do the honours." Durant hopped off the cart and to the side to let the visitors disembark.

Ford grimaced as his feet landed on the ground, his shoes instantly covered in dirt. There were no wooden walkways out that far, and he grinded his teeth together in displeasure.

Rourke immediately pulled out his notepad, scribbling away and drawing little sketches. A loud explosion less than a mile ahead of them startled him, and he dropped his pencil on the ground, the nib breaking. He huffed and put it in his pocket, bringing out another one.

"Sorry about that," Jack said. "It's black powder to get through the harder rock we need to move."

"You don't use nitroglycerin?" Ford asked.

Jack shook his head. "Much too dangerous and unnecessary. With the majority of our path over flat land, black powder works fine."

Rourke nodded and raised his eyebrows, interested by the information he then noted on his pad.

The group followed Jack as he led them down the line. His hands clasped behind his back, his spine straight, his head held high in pride.

The workers acted in unison, each movement precise and effective. At the end of the already-lain track - the railhead - was ground that had been softened by the cut crew who were now stationed a few metres ahead. Scattered on top of the dirt was a sea of irregularly-shaped crushed stone known as track ballast. Despite the odd shapes, it spread uniformly and looked almost like a flat surface. Over the ballast were wooden planks known as ties, evenly spaced like stepping stones.

"If you'll follow me," Jack said, motioning the group over to the side.

Eight workers bent down and lifted a rail that had been kicked off the flatcar. With four on each side, they joined another group carrying the second rail, and waited while the space between the two was measured. When they were given the go-ahead, they lowered it as gently as they could, though the metal still clanged loudly as it hit.

"As you can see gentlemen, we take exceptional care in every aspect of the railroad. Once the rails are in place, they are secured to the ties," Jack explained.

Illustrating this point, Ryan and Jonathan, along with Eli's lackeys Campbell and Ayers, and other workers, stepped forward, spike mauls in hand. With two hands gripping the wooden handles, they slammed the metal head onto the joining nail.

Jack continued to narrate while they worked. "The men are so efficient, they only need three strikes to fully-embed the nail."

Campbell finished his task and laughed as Jonathan had to give another couple of strikes. "The men can get it done in three, unlike Five Strikes here."

Jonathan lowered his head in embarrassment.

Jack cleared his throat. "Yes, well, moving on. You've got a lot to see before you head back tomorrow afternoon." He grasped Rourke by the arm, hurrying them along.

Harley waved hello to a couple of the dance hall girls as she entered the building. It wasn't an overly hot day, but the cover and cross-breeze felt nice. "Do you know where Kate is?" She asked a girl cleaning behind the bar. The girl pointed her upstairs. Harley ascended the stairs, sidestepping abandoned glasses and unidentified stains.

She spotted her in one of the rooms, changing the bed sheets. "Hey, last night was fun." She stood in the doorway, her arms crossed, a big smile on her face.

"Yeah we did a lot of good business." Kate glanced up. Under her eyes were dark bags, her skin looking sallow.

"Are you OK?" Harley asked, immediately stepping forward.

"I'm fine." Kate put her hand up, stopping her. "Just tired after a fun night."

Harley gave a tentative nod. She moved a little closer, leaning up against a dresser on the side of the room. On its surface were various make-ups and a plain hand-held mirror. This was one of the worker girl's rooms.

"Spit it out girl." Kate gathered the old sheets and waited.

"Do you like what you do?" Her voice was low.

Kate sighed. "Is that really what you want to know?"

Harley nodded.

"Fine." Kate placed the sheets back down on the bed. "In a perfect world, I would not be living this life. But it ain't. And I am. How else can a woman make her own living?"

"Where I come from, women can do pretty much any job they want."

"You'd best go back there then." Kate grabbed the laundry and started to walk out. She paused at the door. "With the boss man away we're having another big night tonight. You don't have to work this time. Just enjoy yourself."

Harley smiled at the invitation. "I'm not one to turn down a party."

"A party?" Dan Casement leaned back in his chair.

Jake shifted from foot to foot. "Sort of. The tent owners and workers will be meeting in the dance hall."

"And what, pray tell, is their agenda?" Dan quirked an eyebrow.

"My guess is their pay. They know why they suddenly got their money yesterday."

"They're sharper than I thought," Dan mumbled, a bit too loud to be under his breath. He looked to Jake. "So what is your plan?"

"My plan?" Jake crossed his arms, trying to stand strong under the gaze of the older man.

"You accepted my offer to work as liaison to keep the peace."

"I said I'd talk to them." Jake was starting to have a bad feeling about all of this.

"You'd best hope they're listening, 'cause with Durant and my brother elsewhere, you're their first obstacle to the top."

Yep, Jake thought to himself, definitely the time for that bad feeling.

A knock on the door to the caboose drew Aadita's attention from her book. "Come in," she called out.

Reb entered, glancing at Dodge on the bed.

"Don't worry, he'll be out for hours." Aadita closed the book over her finger, making sure to not lose her place.

"How is he?"

"His fever has spiked a few times but has been controllable. I've been keeping him under so he doesn't try to leave."

Reb nodded. "You're doing a good job."
Aadita gave a small smile, too surprised to think of another response.

"There's a gathering at the dance hall tonight. We're all going, if you're interested?"

Aadita looked at Dodge and shook her head. "Oh, ah, I think it would be best to stay here."

"Yeah I figured. Just thought I'd ask." Reb stepped back to the door. "Don't worry. You won't be missing much." She turned and left, carefully closing the door behind her.

Aadita gave a single wave before returning back to her book. No friends and the only medical case involved keeping one man sedated. It was going to be a long, boring, night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your comments below and check out our official website to find out how you can contribute to this revolutionary new collaborative story series!