Chapter Seventeen

Reb and Harley could tell by Jake's dejected posture that his talk with Dan Casement had not gone well.

"He's not telling me anything," he said when he reached them.

"So what are we going to do?" Reb asked. She wasn't thrilled at working side-by-side with her brother or Harley, but finding Eric would be worth it.

"I want to go out there."

Harley shook her head. "It's too dangerous to go out on your own."

Jake ran a hand through his hair. "What are we supposed to do then?"

"Maybe some of the workers will help?" Harley suggested.

Reb raised an eyebrow as her only response. She looked back to her brother. "Give Eric another day. He knows a lot about this time period. Maybe they just got sidetracked."

None of them really believed it, but for the mean time, there was nothing they could do.

The sun was struggling to be seen over the mountains, sending its last rays of bright orange into the otherwise dark gray sky. The rain-filled clouds had quickened the turn from day into night, causing the group to move faster. The last thing they wanted was another night in the wide-open darkness. Thunder had become a constant background noise, making conversation difficult.

Those at the front of the group halted.

"What is it?" Durant asked. He stood with Ford, Barnham and Rourke in the middle.

"We've encountered another river!" Jack Casement yelled to be heard. A momentary break in the roaring above let them hear the rushing of the water.

"Can we cross it?" Ford's eyes were wide in terror. He looked behind them, as if expecting to see a tribe of Indians on their tail.

Jack shook his head but realised they might not be able to see him clearly. "No. It's too deep here. We'll have to keep going until we find a shallower place to cross. Don't worry, we'll be at the lumber camp in no time." His reassuring words sounded forced to their ears.

They began to move again, following the river. The first drops of rain were starting to fall, with the sky promising much more before the night was over.

The rain fell harder and faster, further filling the flash-river and its banks. Lightning lit their way, arcing across the sky and touching down in the distance. The ground turned to thick sludge, grabbing hold of them, making every step a struggle. Each traveller left a track of footprints signalling their way.

"We'll have to cross here. I don't think we'll find a better spot," Jack yelled to them.

Standing on the bank, they marvelled at the fast-flowing water. Rocks had been relocated from other places, and jutted out at odd angles. It was too far across to jump, even with a running start.

"And how do you suggest we do that, Mr Casement?" Durant asked.

Jack forced his eyes to adjust to the low light, scanning for anything to assist them. "We'll use the rocks as stepping stones. The first person across will help the next, and so on."

"So who goes first?" Ford looked to Durant and Jack. One was the financial leader of the expedition, the other was the military leader.

"I'll go," Eric volunteered, surprising even himself. He handed his blade to Durant.

Jack clapped him on the back of the shoulder, giving him a nod of recognition. "Good man."

Eric inched closer to the water. The first rock was a full-step away, but the mud would eliminate his traction. He readied himself, swinging his arms back, and leaped forward. He landed directly on the rock, sticking his arms out to steady himself. The next rock was not as far away, but he would have no momentum.