Chapter Six

"You're doing what?" Reb almost spat out her drink - sarsaparilla.

Eric wiped the droplets off the table with a handkerchief before blowing his nose on it. "I said I'm going with Dodge and some guys to grade and survey the next part of the track."

"We agreed to split up, that doesn't mean you get to go off gallivanting around the Great Plains," Reb had to raise her voice to be heard. They all sat around a small table towards the back, not wanting anyone to overhear them.

"I don't really have a choice. They need my help, and we need the money."

"What if you miss the way home?" Reb asked.

"We don't know when it'll happen," Ryan offered. He leaned across the table trying to hear them. The explosions and clanging of the work tools still making his ears ring. Eric nodded, agreeing with him.

Reb sighed. "Exactly."

"But last time it was days. Who says it won't be the same this time? I'm going." Eric looked around for a server to get him another drink.

"Then I'm going with you."

"No Reb, we can't justify you tagging along." Eric wouldn't have minded her coming, but they had roles they needed to stick to.

"So what am I supposed to do?" At least last time Reb had the tournament to occupy her time.

"Maybe hang out with your new friend?" Harley suggested, a sly smile on her face.

"Shut up Harley," Reb hissed at her.

"What new friend?" Jake asked, suddenly more interested in the conversation.

"Reb's made friends with the church guy," Harley said in an almost sing-song fashion, lowering her voice as Kate the owner sauntered past, followed by two men.

Reb kicked her under the table. "At least I'm not friends with a-"

"Rebecca!" Jake cut her off.

Eric tried to hide a chuckle at Reb's comment, inadvertently swallowing a bit too much. He sputtered and coughed, trying to catch his breath.

"Look, we're all tired - or coughing up a lung," Aadita said looking at Eric, "so before we say anything we'll regret, why don't we call it a night."

"Good idea." Harley hopped out of her seat.

"Fine," Reb grumbled, standing and pushing her chair back in with more force than necessary. "See you in the morning." Reb followed Harley, Aadita, and Jake up the stairs to their rented bedrooms.

Eric watched as Ryan shoved his finger in his ear and wiggled it. "What did they say? Where are they going?"

Eric chuckled and led them to the crew sleeper cars and the surveyors' caboose.

Ryan's eyes laboured open to reveal Jonathan leaning over him. The young boy's bright, smiling face only made Ryan feel older and less of a morning person.

"Where was ya las' night?" Jonathan moved back, giving Ryan the space to sit up.

The bunks were two-high, and Ryan was lucky to snag a floor spot so he could swing around and steady himself. "I was with my friends at the dance hall."

"Me an' the boys was there too. Didn't see ya though." Jonathan plopped down onto the bed across from him.

Ryan wiped the sleep from his eyes, squinting as the sun streamed through the small windows next to each bunk. "The boys?"

"Aye. Eli, Ayers, Campbell, the boys. Ya should've joined us."

Ryan cracked his neck, the pillow giving his head no support during the night. "Those guys'll get you into trouble." He had met them all during their long work shift the day before. They were the rough-tough type, with more brawn than brains, and tempers shorter than the dynamite fuses.

"They're me friends," Jonathan said, his expression stern and voice holding more authority.

Ryan had seen otherwise. He knew guys like them. Sometimes he was a guy like them. He grunted as he hoisted himself up. "Let's get to work then."

"Careful boy!" The tall surveyor with a handlebar moustache grouched at Eric.

An untimely sneeze had spooked one of the horses and almost made him drop his bundle of important paperwork they would be needing on their grading expedition. "Sorry." He tried to wipe his nose on his sleeve but couldn't quite reach. He handed his armful to another on the survey crew, working together to fasten some equipment to the nearest horse.

"Are we ready?" Dodge came sweeping out of his caboose. His unsullied suit and clean hair set him apart from the workers, and yet none appeared to begrudge him. His military record had earned him respect, albeit one from fear more than anything else.

"Yes sir," the first surveyor said, waiting for Dodge to mount his horse before hopping up with ease.

"Let's go then," Dodge urged his horse into movement.

Eric grabbed his saddle, trying to keep the horse steady while he got his foot in place. The horse, however, had other plans. It wavered and turned, circling in place. Eric finally halted its restless motion, taking his place on the saddle and setting off after the others.

Ayers, one of Eli's men, watched as Eric rode past. He worked on the cut crew, using pickaxes to prepare the ground for the rails to be laid. He took a drink of water and spat the dust from his mouth. "I heard the Chinese working on the Central Pacific sleep in the tunnels."

"Wouldn't surprise me. Barely human." Campbell was short but strong. He finished his drink break and jumped back into the ditch with the others.

Jonathan looked up from his area. He knew the guy they were talking about was Ryan's friend, but he also knew better than to cross Eli.

"You're one to talk Ayers." Eli trudged past. As the walking boss, he didn't have to get down and dirty. "We all hear the noises you make. 'Least they hard workers."

Everyone laughed, except Ayers, whose cheeks reddened. He put his head down and went back to digging.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your comments below and check out our official website to find out how you can contribute to this revolutionary new collaborative story series!