Chapter Eight

Abby wandered aimlessly through the corridors, she knew she should have paid attention on her way here. She had been walking around for about ten minutes now trying to find her way out. Everybody else was in class; this place was like a maze.

Turning the corner she bumped into the last person she wanted see.

“Hello pretty lady, you lost?” he said with a sneer.

Looking up at Zane she could easily see why the others didn’t like him. His face was a mask, not portraying any kind of emotion. His eyes were the same deep green colour as Abby’s, with gold flecks around the edges, strange, she had never known anybody to have the same colour eyes.

With a sigh of defeat Abby admitted she was lost and wanted to get back to her dorm.

“Don’t worry I'll walk you over, wouldn’t want anything to happen to you now would we.”

Abby felt a shiver go down her spine, this boy was too creepy. They walked in silence all the way to the front of her dorm. Stopping at the entrance she turned to thank him but he had already started walking away, with a shrug she headed inside.

Safely inside she decided to unpack her clothes. It took her a while as she liked to have everything in order, all lined up nice and neat. Looking at her watch she realized that Leah probably wouldn’t be back for another hour yet so she decided to do her history homework.

Getting out her book she flicked through to the contents. There were chapters on all kinds of different species. Although she was tempted to read some of the others she decided to get her homework out of the way first.

Opening it up at the chapter for vampires, she skimmed through it. The first part was basically the story she had learned this morning, the chapter about Damphrys wasn’t very long. Leah was right this was all just basic she wondered if they would learn more or if the school didn’t want them to know more.

She continued to read anyway, full vampires are unable to have children with their own species; therefore they seek solace with the humans for the purpose of childbirth. Great so her dad had just used her mom as a broodmare, didn’t that just make her day.

The children are born human; however they have their fathers genes present in their system. Only by digesting the blood of others can the gene become dominant and take over. Once changed into a Damphyr there is no reversing the procedure.

Damphyrs have only been around for the last century or so. It has taken centauries for vampires to evolve to the stage that they wish to reproduce. Gone are the days were a vampires sole existence is to feed and cause torment to humans. Most vampires may take their offspring and change them themselves so that they are part of their world, however under some unusual circumstances some Damphyrs are left to see if they change on their own.

Well that was interesting to know. Maybe hers was a special circumstance, nah; there was nothing special about her. Abby wondered what it would have been like if her dad had taken her. Would she have been able to see her mom? Would she still be here at the school?

Abby felt a sudden shift in the air, the air in front of her seemed to shimmer. Out of nowhere a little man appeared from nowhere, he was all dressed in brown, with short curly brown hair, oh and he was tiny.

Abby let out a scream so loud the walls shook, just as quickly as he had appeared he evaporated into thin air, but not before Abby noticed the look of sheer horror on his face.

Suddenly her door swung open and Leah came running in panting.

“What, what’s happened are you alright?”