Chapter 31

We are at our graduation party. Luis and I decided to combine them to save money. I am wearing a long blue sparkly dress that Luis bought for me and he had me get my hair done also. He was wearing a vest and tie with black slacks. He looked very handsome than usual. As our guests arrived, we greeted them and our parents escorted them. It was about 6 pm and the party was just beginning. We had all night to have fun, I thought. Leann and Daisy stand next to me, each wearing knee length black dresses. More people walk in, and there are about 50 guests in the hall now. It's in the same hall I had my quinceañera, where Luis and I met again. I was happy to be here again. It's about 6 pm now and the party is just about to begin. We start serving plates for the guest. Barbacoa, frijoles charros, arroz, tortillas frescas. All my favorites. I grab my own plate and sit at a nearby table. Luis follows me.

"Are you having fun, Marcela?" He holds my hand. I nod. He gives a kiss on the cheek and begins to eat. I also begin to eat. Daisy and Leann find us and sit with us. Mama and Papa are done serving the guests. Everyone eats peacefully while music plays in the background. A server starts to pass out glasses of champagne. Papa then gets up.

"Can I get everyone's attention please?" He stands with a glass in his hand. Everyone also raise their glasses. He speaks into a microphone.

"We are here to celebrate the graduation of two very intelligent young adults. They had trouble during the years but they made it and now they have graduated. To my daughter, Marcela, and to Luis!" Everyone cheers along. Luis puts down his glass and takes me to the middle of the floor. I follow him, feeling confused. He takes the microphone from Papa and clears his throat.

"Thank you Mr. Lozano. We have finally graduated. And we want to thank our parents for all the support they gave us through the years and the many struggles they have also gone through just to give us a better future. To our parents, Sarah Barron, and Francisco & Anise Lozano!" Everyone cheers out to them also. Luis then turns to me. He smiles big at me. Papa walks up to us, also smiling. I see Luis reaching for his pocket, and slowly getting down on one knee. He holds a tiny black box and slowly opens it.

"Marcela Lozano, I have loved you all my life and I wish to spend my entire life with you. I do not want anyone else but you. Marcela, will you marry me?" The guests go crazy with claps and awes and whistles. I could not believe what Luis was doing. I felt tears running from my eyes. I covered my face to keep more tears from coming out. Luis gets up and holds my hands. He pulls them away from my face and looks at me, smiling.

"I love you, Marcela. And I do truly want to be with you for the rest of my life." He holds my hands gently. I don't think twice and open my mouth.

"Si! Yes! I will marry you!" I jump into his arms and the guests clap for us.