Epilogue

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭16:24‬ ‭NIV‬‬

🍀Serena's POV🍀

Eleven Years Later

I laugh as I am pulled towards the nearby playground by an energetic four year old. His small hand curls around my first two fingers as he tries to run, failing as I refuse to go any faster.

"Mommy! Hurry!"

"Isaac, you know I can't."

He stops running and looks back at me. "Why?" I point to my stomach and he gasps, placing his hands on my protruded torso. "I sorry, Mommy. Is baby okay?"

"They're fine. Now please walk slowly."

"Okay. When do you poop out baby?"

I let out a laugh at his question. "In five months, hijo."

"But that so long!" he whines.

"What did I say about whining?"

He pouts. "To not."

"Yes, now let's get to the playground."

He smiles and grabs my hand again, walking slower like I asked. When we reach the gate, he gives a kiss to my stomach and runs over to the slide. I rub the area he kissed and smile, walking over to an empty bench. I watch as he climbs the steps one foot at a time. My baby is so cute, his eyes like mine and his face like my husband's. I look down at my ring, shifting my hand to attract the light. Such a beautiful ring from a beautiful man. Looking up again, I watch as Isaac slides down and lands on his bottom.

"I okay, Mommy!" he shouts.

I give him a thumbs up and continue to watch him run over to the swings, waiting by the side for a turn. He is such a patient boy, most of the time, unlike his father. I remind myself of how funny it is to listen to Jacob's grumbling voice as the food he cooks takes long, or when the traffic slows and he's trying to get somewhere. Oh, my boys are my world. I grab my phone and reread the message I received from him ten minutes ago.

Remember to take Isaac to the park and everything should be ready in twenty minutes. I'll text you again when it's all set up

Hopefully he doesn't tire out too soon. He had a nap already today but he still gets sleepy sometimes and needs a second one. I shift in my spot as my back begins to cramp. These benches are not that comfy. I should have brought a pillow or something, but I would look ridiculous. Isaac gets a turn and he swings his feet back and forth erratically and I push myself up. This boy.

"Isaac, that is not how you swing."

He looks up and stops his movement. "Is not?"

"No, you have to kick your legs slower and each at the same time. I'll give you a couple pushes and you'll do the rest."

I pull him back and let go, relishing in his giggles and demands for a higher altitude. I give him a few more pushes and step to the side as he kicks his legs as I directed him. Every time he goes back, he gives me a giddy smile.

"I do it right!"

"Yes you do."

I remain standing in this spot as he continues to swing, waiting for him to either tire or almost slip. I don't want him to get hurt. His hands have a strong grip on the chains, as strong of a grip a four year old can have, and he doesn't look like he'll tire soon.

"I finished." Never mind.

I grab the closest chain and hold it steady as the swing comes to a gradual stop. Once it has stopped, he jumps off and heads over to the sandbox. I grimace as he gets closer. He's going to get covered in sand. My fingers twitch as I think about stopping him. I won't, since this trip is for him. Wait, he doesn't even have sand toys, what is he going to do? I get an answer as he asks a little girl if he could borrow her small shovel. She gives him a nod and he smiles, taking it from her outstretched hand.