"Oh Daddy I know you're gonna win,' she said, with the upmost confidence. Her small face twinkled at the sight of him. She believed he could do anything.

Dom took in a breath, looked at her and gave her crumpled smile. He didn't know how to explain to her their was a strong likelihood he would lose. Yani was formidable. He had defeated every challenger that had fought him on the island, and at this point in time it seemed that wasn't going to change.

Nevertheless, Dom had to set an example for his children.

"Of course I will. He hasn't faced me before. You know what they say sweetie; 'you save the best till last.'"

"Daddy that's so true." Quinn stood on the sand dune and flexed her arm. "Because the Pudattas are the strongest of them all."

Dom broke out into a burst of laughter and wrapped his hand around her shoulder.

"I am glad I have taught you well, Quin." He gently leant forward and kissed her on her forehead. "And I am glad you are my daughter."

The moment felt beautiful, which was matched by the scenery around them. Grewir had blessed them with the best of the Island's weather that could be offered to them. The outcome of his battle would be irrelevant as long he was able to make his children proud of him.

It was an opportunity that raced itself quickly to him that afternoon. After training all morning, his two sons eventually sent him the news he had been working towards. The afternoon was now upon him.

A circle was formed around the combatants. The tree of Grewir was their meeting place. It was only fitting for Grewir to be able to watch the outcome because if Dom was successful, at least no one would deny his gift of being tainted.

With wooden swords in their hands, the two combatants bowed at one another. There was a great hush amongst the spectators. Dom was burning inside. His nerves were increased by the sweat beading along his skin. Yani appeared as calm as ever. There was no hint of fear on his face or body.

Time seemed to slowly pass as they both waited for one of them to make the first move.

Dom slashed his sword at his chest. Yani parried it away, fending off a second onslaught from him. In a mere second, Dom found himself on the back foot, moving closer to a Bounder with his son upon his shoulders. Yan raised his sword above his head, looking to deliver an untimely blow on his neck. Nevertheless, the incoming peril of colliding into a helpless onlooker gave him an opportunity that seemed too hard to pass up.

He stepped to the side and had a clear access to Yani's midsection. He thrusted his sword his opponent's towards it. In doing so, he had underestimated his opponent in a moment of fixation. A clump of sand hopped into the air as Yani leapt away. He was nimble and held no secrets about his agility. It was an ability Dom thought the wearied solider had forgotten. From his journeys fighting side by side with him, he knew Yani's quick reflexes had saved him more times than Grewir could count.

A confused state overcame him and was angered that he had missed. He tried another thrust, though this time Dom was met with a playful smack of the sword on his tailbone. Dom slightly stumbled, buckling his lead ankle, but somehow he had managed to quickly turn around and gather himself into a defensive stance.

"Keep your senses alert, mate," said Yani with a confident grin twirling, the hilt of his sword in his hand. A small amount of laughter leaked from the crowd.

How could his misfortune be seen as humorous to his community? He had defended this island, and despite his efforts he was met with this. He was no longer in his prime, he would be the first to admit to it. Their treatment of him undoubtedly made his skin boil.