4.3: The Legoomian Recital

Start from the beginning

"You're welcome. So... I'm not too casual, am I?" she couldn't help eyeing his attire. The Baron let out a small laugh.

"My dear Lindsay; this is my informal attire. So, to answer your inquiry: not at all. Shall we, then?" he bent a blue arm towards her. Areiv learned that it was an old-fashioned Earth custom, but he was glad it was a feature the two species shared. Lindsay nodded and wrapped her arm around his, flustered that he referred to her as "his dear Lindsay".

The two chatted as they made their way to the nearby outdoor amphitheater. The similarities amazed Lindsay as they found seats together. Areiv noticed her amusement and smiled.

"Do you attend recitals on Earth?"

"No, actually. Well, we call them concerts. I've only been to three in my life."

"That is unfortunate. No one should ever miss out on the finer qualities in this life span."

"No offense but with you being a Baron and royalty? You can afford to enjoy things like this on a daily basis!"

"Oh? Recitals on Earth require payment?"

"Most of them, yeah. Not to say the free ones aren't any good though. But, on Earth for the most part, you gotta pay for what we consider the 'finer qualities'."

"I see. So disappointing. There are few activities that call for payment in this galaxy. However, I understand being the Baron of Esperia has its advantages at moments." he agreed.

"I just bet! How many women wanted to join you tonight?"

"I am certain quite a few. However, none approached me. They normally do not. Is it customary for human females to approach the male in these circumstances?"

"I... I don't have an actual answer for that. Yes and no? It's one of our old-fashioned values that's stayed intact for the most part. Not too many of us are bold enough to ask a guy anywhere."

"That is the custom here. Can we come to an arrangement? I will make certain you always experience the finer qualities this galaxy offers whenever you are in my presence." the Baron surprised her. Lindsay shot a glance at him as her cheeks ached.

"Oh. Um... Areiv... you don't have to do that." she answered.

"It would please me greatly if I am able to do that for you. I certainly do not mind doing so. Is that improper of me? Why does it astonish you?"

"It's just... isn't there a single female species here who's more deserving of that?"

"Single?"

"Those without a mate."

"Ah. There may be. I have doubts they would be as sincere as yourself. The recital is about to begin; you are in for a delight this evening." Areiv decided although this was a relaxed gathering for the two, he had expressed too much. He was grateful for the sounds of the Legoom musicians warming up.

Lindsay tried to wait out the familiar ache in her cheeks; it didn't go unnoticed that the Baron changed the topic. She wouldn't pry any further and turned her attention towards the stage. The instruments were like Earth's versions of flutes and clarinets. From her seat, she couldn't make out the material but Lindsay noticed there were extra and irregular-shaped holes in the instruments. The human could likewise tell the gender of each Legoom. The females wore ivory gowns that sparkled while the males wore slacks and shirts of the same color.

Lindsay smiled as Naav made her way to the center of the seated musicians. The Legooms, like humans, were all unique in features. It was simple to identify them from one another. Lindsay still called the Legooms "rabbits" in her head and thought Naav had a rich shade of golden fur. The Legoom was also the only one whose tufts of hair curled at the top of her head. Although it had only been a week since the humans arrived on Buno, Naav and Lindsay were good friends. The two fascinated one another!