6. This is awkward...

I wake up not knowing where I am. Looking around me, I remember that we found a hotel to stay at just before we got to the border of the outside.  I feel someone's breath tickle my ear and crane my neck to see who it is. I find Erik fast asleep, sleeping next to me, his chest rising and falling as he breaths. The sight of him being right there next to me makes my heart speed, and I almost go to scream, but I am far too exhausted to utter a sound.

To say I wasn't uncomfortable with this situation would be a lie. Quite frankly, I am downright stressed out that the man I just met yesterday is lying in the same bed as me. I shift slightly so I can get out of bed, but as I do Erik rolls over and envelopes me into his arms. I try to move out of his embrace, but his arms tighten around me. This is awkward...

I look up and admire the peaceful look on his face as he sleeps. Little puffs of air blow on my face as he breathes out. His long eyelashes, one's that most girls would kill for, grace the tops of his cheek bones. His wavy brown hair curls around his face attractively, but also brushes against his eyes in a way that makes him look more innocent as he sleeps. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath in...and out. I need to get out of this position and figure out why we are sharing a bed in the first place...before Erik wakes up.

Suddenly, I feel the muscles in Erik's body become more alert. Sighing, I open my eyes, knowing he is now awake. Upon opening my eyes, I find Erik staring down at me with a smile on his face. His piercing blue eyes are comforting, yet serious, and I blush under the heat of them.

"Are you going to let go of me?" I ask him.

Erik smirks, "I thought you were strong."

"I am stronger than the average person. After what you did in the prison I'd say that you are no where near average. How my father didn't figure out what you are is beyond me."

Erik frowns, "So I'm a what now? I'm not even a person now?"

"Until you let  go of me you are. Why are we even in this position?"

Erik chuckles softly, "Last night you wouldn't let go of me. Said something about being scared to be alone...whatever that means. Did she really mean that much to you?" he asks.

"I..." I stop, trying to collect my thoughts, "I don't really know. I barely knew her, yet at the same time, I saw myself in her. Because of that, I don't know, I just..."

"It's okay, I understand. We don't have to talk about her. Just know how happy it probably made her that she got to meet you before she died."

"Do you really mean that?"

"I know her biggest regret was that she drove her family away from her."

"She did mention that," I say.

We sat a moment with Erik holding me in his arms. Neither of us spoke, we just kept to our separate thoughts. The after effects of Ruth's death were still plaguing my mind, but I knew we needed to keep moving. I can't figure out why Erik wants us to venture to the outside, but I know that if I stay here someone will eventually find me. I am too recognizable.

"Why did you help me?" I ask suddenly.

"Ruth was right," Erik states, "Changes need to be made soon. And if  the king wants you dead, we might as well use you for our cause."

"Nobody is going to want to fight alongside the daughter of the man who oppresses them the most. Besides, I really do not understand why you and Ruth think it is so bad outside. If it is so bad, you never should have even been able to become a janitor in the castle without being killed."

"Trust me, it's bad. Besides, I have friends in high places. They let me into the castle."

"So you're not the only traitor? Does this mean that there was a list of traitors I could have escaped with instead of you?"

"I'm not a traitor."

"Sure you're not."

"I cannot be a traitor if I was never on the king's side. I am honorable to my people."

"Sure you are," I smirk.

Erik glares at me, "Get up," he says, "Let's just get ready to leave. We have a long way to go." With that, Erik finally releases me from his hold.

Because we didn't really have much to begin with, we gather our stuff from the hotel room quickly and go to check out. Erik checks out while I stand back, with a hood over my head, trying to not be recognized. I watch as he pulls out a large wad of cash, indicating that he's trying to avoid leaving a lead for people to follow. Seeing this, I wonder if I stupidly allowed this man to kidnap me, but realize that if he did kidnap me things would have been much different. For one, he probably never would have comforted me while I cried. Or would he?

After Erik checks out, leads me to the truck, directs me to get in, and drives away from everything I once knew. What lies ahead is nothing like I have ever known. Looking outside, I wonder what is up next for me.

Thank you all for reading and let me know what you think. If you liked this chapter please consider giving it a vote!

Discussion Questions: How do you think Katie will react to Ruth's death in the future. What do you think of Erik and Katie together?