15 | a friend

AN HOUR AFTER MIDNIGHT when Kira finds herself standing outside a very familiar inn two towns away from home. In the back of her mind, she remembers the way towards the place like it's something she had mastered on going into for as long as she can remember.

That is, she still doesn't remember anything that had happened for the past four months. The picture in her head is still all blurry, cloudy. It's like trying to remember something that never once existed.

She wonders how is that even possible.

She wonders how Emiline is doing.

She wonders if Emiline knows what had happened to her.

She wonders too many things at the moment.

The cold one a.m breeze touched her bare shoulders and Kira starts to question her decisions by not bringing any cardigans with her, on top of that, why did she ever decided to wear an outfit that barely covers her shoulders.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's one a.m and she's supposed to be sleeping. The fact that she's not allowed to go outside of their house without her parent's eye on her, acccompanying her. Maybe it has to do with the fact that she knows Emiline might be here at this moment and she so badly needed to reach out to her.

Maybe it was just her thinking too much about where her best friend might be. The fact that she feels so isolated in the world now that the only person she can talk to about everything is so damn unreachable.

And just like what happens whenever she thinks of things, she's interrupted with her phone ringing inside her jean pockets.

"Kira?" a familiar voice greets her through the speakers, "thank God you finally answered. I got your number from your friend there, Eleanor?"

The voice makes her heart flutter in an unusual way, causing her to take a step back, with her back hitting the side of his father's car --- the car that she just sneaked out two towns away, says her conscience.

"Who's this?" she asks, not really having any idea why her heart skips a beat with every passing second since this phone call began.

"Oh sorry, this is Jax," the raspy voice answers, "I couldn't reach you for the past three weeks, and then I found out you changed your number. Does that have anything to do with me?"

Well, I don't think so. My phone number was changed because I got a new phone, had a car accident. I actually have no idea who you are right now, and who in their right minds even call at one in the freaking morning? She wants to answer, but she didn't, because despite of the confusion, and unrecovered memories that she might've with this guy, there's something inside her that is aching to listen to this voice over and over even if it's one in the morning and she's towns away from the softness of her bed.

"Are you still there?" the voice asks again and it pulled Kira out of her thoughts.

"Y-yes I am," she says, "sorry about that. I'm just..."

She doesn't know how to continue. It's hard explaining something to someone especially when it's over the phone and when she doesn't even know half of what really happened.

"Are you okay?" Jax asks once more, and it makes Kira's heart flutter with how much sincerity is laced in his tone.

"I'm fine. It's just," she finally answers after two long minutes filled with silence, "It's just that I don't really have any idea right now who you are. They said I was in a car accident and that I have an amnesia. I honestly can't remember anything at the moment."

"Where are you?"

🔍🔍🔍

"DO YOU HAPPEN to know where Emiline is?" Kira asks two hours later in the conversation. The sky is starting to get a little less darker now than the sky ahead of them about an hour and a half ago.

Jax seemed to be taken aback by her question, not answering immediately. For the past two hours, Kira had told Jax part of what she has been told that happened, and Jax had told her about her going in this town every now and then to go meet up with Emiline.

The question about where Emiline is had been itching to get out of her throat since Kira started warming up towards Jax.

Kira finds it amusing how Jax had been there not longer than ten minutes the moment she told him about where she is. He's riding an old nissan car painted red when he arrived in front of the inn she was at two hours ago, wearing a plain blue shirt and jeans. Her heart immediately skipped a beat at the sight of Jax, and that felt all too familiar.

"I do not know where she is," Jax answers after a long pause, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Kira says, smiling at him," she's pretty unreachable nowadays."

Her eyes must've given away the fact that she's disappointed. But Jax had told her that the three of them had been used to hanging out for the past months, and that Emiline might be hard to reach at times but they definitely do see each other like four times a week for the past months.

Months that she couldn't remember, even just a fraction. And it's frustrating the heck out of Kira.

"This really sucks," Kira heaves out, "I hate this whole amnesia thing. Damn it."

"Maybe going to places where you've been to can help," Jax offers, shooting Kira a warm smile to which she responds with a smile back. Outside, the world is so quiet, all of the lights from each houses are turned off. Kira and Jax had been sitting outside on one of the swings in the park, the cold not bothering Kira anymore. It felt warmer with Jax around.

"That would be great," she says, "I've also read that on one of the google searches. But unfortunately, I can't do that with my parents not allowing me to go anywhere without them. They don't even know I have been visiting this town."

Jax looks at her, his dark eyes illuminated by the moonlight. Kira couldn't understand why having him around is so refreshing and familiar all at once. Maybe she do have a crush on him. She wants to remember how they met, but thanks to her brain, she couldn't remember a single thing about this town.

"Then sneak out," Jax says, "just like what you did today."

Kira shakes her head.

"Why not?"

"I'm already feeling all jittery now that I sneaked out," she says, "I couldn't imagine how frantic my mom would be if she ever finds out."

Jax places his hands on top of Kira's, squeezing it gently as if to reassure her, "You want your memories back, right?"

She nods.

"Well then a little sneaking out won't hurt you."

🔍🔍🔍

What are your thoughts about this chapter? About Kira? About Jax?

What do you think happened for the last four months of Kira's life?

I hope you're still reading this. And I'm really sorry for the uber late updates xx

Have a great weekdays ahead of you my lovelies 💖💖💖

Vote. Comment. Share. Fan