I opened the door to hear, "Victoria," called from the darkness. I looked and there under the street lamp stood Edward.

I stared almost in disbelief but still too lost in my grief to think of what to say and if he was real.

"Are you ok?" he asked concerned and moving forward.

I was in that horrible moment when someone asks if you are ok and you are not so you cry. I couldn't let him see me cry. I rushed through the door, "Sorry the cafe is closed for a week," I said closing the door and rushing upstairs. I burst into tears as I fell on my bed and sobbed my heart out until I fell asleep.

The next morning I heard the foreman arrive but instead of getting up to go meet them I stayed in bed and pulled the blankets over my head and went back to sleep.

"Victoria," I heard whispered and the smell of fresh coffee made me open my eyes. Edward was knelt beside the bed at my eye level. "It's gone midday," he whispered. "Are you unwell?" he asked concerned.

I shook my head gently and turned over away from him.

He reached out stroking my hair, "Are you sad?" he whispered.

I started to cry. Trying to be as quite as possible but sniffing made it impossible.

He climbed onto the bed and cuddled up behind me. He soothing whispers of 'Shh' and 'It's ok' made me cry even more. Eventually I was all cried out and started to calm down.

"Here have some coffee," he said sitting up to fetch it as I turned over and faced him for the first time.

"Thank you," I said as he passed me the coffee, which was surprisingly warm having sat on the side so long. He passed me another tissue. I'd been through about 8 in the pass few minutes. "Do you want to go for a walk together?" he asked. "A bit of fresh air might do you good," he added.

I shook my head. I just wanted to stay in bed for the day.

"It's a bit noisy here," he said as the workmans drill started off. "Why don't you pack a bag and come away with me for a few days?" he suggested. "Get away whilst they finish off the work."

I thought about it. It was a tempting offer.

"I promise to be a gentleman at all times. You will have your own room and I promise you won't have to wake up with me checking on you like I did this morning," he teased.

I half smiled.

"I'll bring you back in time for when they finish," he said smiling encouragingly.

I nodded but immediately regretted it and wanted to say I had changed my mind but he was ecstatic.

"Where is your bag?" he asked.

"Bag?" I replied confused.

"For putting a few things in like toiletries and clothes for a few days," he said looking around.

"I don't have one," I replied barely a whisper.

"No travel or overnight bag?" he said astonished. He thought for a few seconds and said, "Ok we will take just you and the toothbrush. We can buy an overnight bag and fill it with new things."

I smiled.

"What are you waiting for, get dressed," he said. "And don't forget your toothbrush," he teased before leaving the room.

I got out of bed as soon as he left having decided to stop thinking about it and just do it. I had been thinking about him for months and now he was back for a few days and I was getting the chance to spend it with him instead of working all the time. I had to take it.

Half and hour later I appeared, showered, changed and holding up my toothbrush.

"Let's go," he said nodded to the foreman who was obviously going to secure the shop.

We walked down the road towards the canal and there it was a canal barge and on board was the man from before. He helped me aboard. Three dogs came rushing towards me and knocked me back against Edward as they welcomed me aboard.

"Heel," Edward said laughing as they all jostled for the best lick of my face and pawed me to death.

"They are very amorous," I said when they were eventually pulled back.

"Yes sorry about that. They are actually supposed to protect the barge from strangers but as you can see they prefer to drown them in saliva as opposed to ripping their throats out," he teased.

"I'm glad," I replied giggling.

"Well this will be home for the next few days," he said showing me the barge. It was small and compact. As you would expect of such a vessel. It had a wood burner and TV. A small sofa and kitchenette.

"Here is the bathroom and bedroom," he said as I heard us pulling off.

"Just one bedroom," I said looking at the bed.

"No there is another larger one at the end of the other end. We boarded in the middle. There is a bunk beds too and another bathroom," he said reassuringly. "You can have this room."

"Is this not your room?" I asked.

"Yes but most nights I fall asleep out here with the dogs or on the side of the canal in a chair with a belly full of wine and fine food," he said smiling. "That goes here," he said taking my toothbrush out of my jeans pocket and putting it in the toothbrush holder.

I giggled feeling a bit more at ease.

"Now how about I show you where everything is in the kitchen and we can grab some cold beers and go steer the boat," he said enthusiastically.

"That sounds wonderful," I replied.

An hour later we were stood on deck and I was steering. Not that it took much just a hand on the stick but still I felt like I had learnt a new skill and smiled proudly.

"Would you care for another?" Piers asked. He was the coconut cup cake man and friend of Edward.

The dogs were Mopsy, Daisy and Coco. Edward denied naming them but I teased him all the same.

There was one more person on board I hadn't met yet as he was asleep after eating some bad fish. His name was Gerard.

Piers brought me out another beer and took away the empty bottle. I smiled at him and got a genuine smile back for the first time.

It was getting a bit chilly so I was now wearing one of Edwards jumpers. It didn't look too bad and was so comfortable I told him straight off it was mine 'for keeps'.

He told me to stay up top whilst he made dinner. Yes he was cooking. I was being waited on not the one running around after other people. I wondered what over the top creation he was going to come up with. Men who cook usually go all out when cooking for a friend especially a female one. I could smell the onions and my tummy rumbled. I bet it is steak or lamb.

"Close your eyes," he said.

"Are we eating up here?" I asked confused as to how I would steer and eat.

"Close them," he said.

I closed my eyes.

"Behold a feast," he said.

I opened my eyes and burst out laughing. It was a hot dog with onions.

"That is about as far as my cooking skills go I'm afraid," he said grimacing a little at his own attempt.

"It is perfect thank you," I said taking one off the plate covered in ketchup and mustard and happily took a bite. It was delicious.

The evening passed quickly as I drank one too many beers and was helped to bed by Piers. I slept in one of Edwards T Shirts. The bed was bliss as I closed my eyes and felt proud of myself for taking a leap of faith and accepting his offer of hospitality.... I giggled to myself at the use of their word and fell into a peaceful sleep.