My pleasure at hearing such good news dimmed as my gaze landed on the final note that had been contained in the packet. It was from Henry Bladen. Aunt Beth's maid, Carter, must have included the message when my aunt was not looking. I couldn't blame her. She couldn't know that I had told Mr. Bladen not to contact me anymore.

Since I'd made myself clear on that point when last we met, what more did he think he had to tell me?

Before I could bring myself to break the seal, I checked the time again. With relief, I saw that it was time for me to return to Lady Leith. Whatever Henry Bladen thought was so important could wait.

~*~

"Before I forget, we will have to make sure to have the materials for silhouettes on hand. It will be a fun pastime in the evenings."

"Of course." I made a note on the side of my list. Silhouettes was actually an entertainment I'd never tried my hand at, although my mother had kept one on her desk that she had made of my father. Whatever happened to that silhouette? Did my uncle have it?

No, why would he have kept his brother-in-law's image? Had it been thrown out? Lost to time and an indifferent heir?

"Celia Leith!" The dowager swept into the room, rage glittering in her pale eyes. "What have you done?"

"I don't know what you mean, ma'am" Lady Leith said calmly. She sent a glance at me. "Nelson, Mrs. Emerson on the edge of the estate is unwell. When you go down to the kitchen, ask Cook to put together a basket of food and have it ready for me to take."

I'd expected her to send me off so that she could argue with the dowager without an audience. Uneasy, I scrambled to make a note of the request. Who had brought her the news about this Mrs. Emerson?

"Do not ignore me, Celia," the dowager warned, striding across the room. "You have dismissed several members of the household. Don't try to deny it! I have had it all from hanson and Mr. Stone!"

"I see no reason to deny it." Lady Leith maintained her calm demeanor. "I was not satisfied with their work, and Horace gave me leave to make any alterations to the house and servants that I found necessary. So, they were paid for the time they were head and instructed to leave."

The dowager's hands were balled in fists. "Perhaps you do not understand the consideration we must give the families who live on the estate."

"I understand it very well, as you have been at pains to tell me how things are run at Clarendon. The maids and the footman I dismissed did not come from the estate families. I really do not understand what you are so alarmed about," Lady Leith said, her tone becoming sharp. "Their work was mediocre at best."

For a moment, the older woman stared at her. Then, her gaze swung to me. "Do you mean to tell me you intend to keep that creature here?" She raised her hand and pointed one finger accusingly at me. "After the information I learned about her? Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?"

"Nelson's service has been exceptional." Lady Leith stood up to face her mother-in-law. "I see no reason to deprive myself of her assistance over baseless rumors."

"Baseless rumors? You would be willing to have a maid as your future sister?"

"Your fear that Nelson will entrap Simon into marriage is completely absurd, as I have already said. I see no reason for us to discuss it anymore. Nor do i see a reason to repeat of give credence to malicious gossip."

With a scowl, the dowager shook her head. "You are unreasonable. When Horace returns—"

"When my husband returns, you can be sure I intend on informing him of every thing you have said to me." Lady Leith raised her chin, her blue eyes glinting with determination. "Now. I am busy with planning. Did you have an activity you wished for at the party?"