"Surely, you ought to at least eat the toast," I said, hurrying forward. I took in her pale face and grabbed the tray from her lap. "On the other hand, you know what's best for yourself. I'll set this to the side in case you change your mind."

Cook would be offended and someone would have to appease her. A problem I set aside as not being one of my responsibilities.

"Later today, I have to formalize the planned activities for the party. The dowager has brought out too many games," Lady Leith said, her voice unsteady. I saw her swallow hard. "Leave me for now, Nelson."

"Of course, my lady." Obediently, I set her tray on a small table against the wall and left the room, keeping my concerns to myself.

More than ever I was sure of the answer to Lady Leith's sudden queasiness. Was she with child? If I, who had never been in such a state, suspected such a thing, surely she who had wished for a child so long would have the same suspicion.

Would the stress and anxiety of hosting a party be detrimental to her health? I hoped that she would be able to eat a bit of the toast on her tray.

Trying to shake off my worry, I went to where my own breakfast was waiting for me in the housekeeper's room. As I was eating my eggs and ham, Mrs. Horner entered. "You have another letter, Miss Nelson," she said, holding out the missive. "You must have a devoted friend in London. This must be the second letter this week."

Her interest made me smile despite my unease. "Thank you, Mrs. Horner," I said as I took the letter from her. A glance showed that the handwriting was Aunt Beth's, and I guessed it was thick because it contained all of the correspondence that had arrived for me in my absence. "This is actually from my great-aunt."

"Oh, I didn't know you had any family alive. You've never mentioned them before."

"I don't have much family left. My great-aunt does love to keep me apprised of all the news she hears."

Her curiosity satisfied, Mrs. Horner went on her way. Breathing a sigh of relief, I unsealed the letter. Though she had addressed the letter, there was no note from Aunt Beth. Instead, as I had suspected, there were other letters. Of the three, only one was written in a hand I recognized. That one I set aside to read last.

The first was a kind note from Miss Grace Anderson, who had been engaged to my brother. She expressed her gratitude for my last letter and hoped that she would be able to meet me when she came to town after her marriage to Mr. Melbourne. There was something she wished to give me.

I couldn't help but smile at the news she was to marry. When I'd left Bath, all I'd known was that Mr. Melbourne was intent on waiting until Miss Anderson was ready to accept him. In fact, he had declared he would wait until he was old and gray if that was what it took to win her hand.

Knowing the woman who had intended on marrying my brother had decided to find some happiness warmed my heart. She deserved to have a secure, contented future, and if Mr. Melbourne was the man I thought he was, she would have it.

A glance at the clock showed I still had some time before Lady Leith would expect me to be in the dressing room. I picked up the second letter and unfolded it. This one was from one Mrs. Gerard Landon.

"My dear Miss Sinclair,

"I hope that this letter finds you well. It has been far too long since I last spent a summer at your father's estate. Of course I can only blame myself for not attempting to keep in contact. You may not even recall the little, wild-haired girl who wanted to spend every moment with you...

Tears welled up in my eyes as Eugenia Landon, née Burnham, informed me of her marriage to Mr. Landon. She described the little estate outside of London she now called home. The letter ended with the hope that I would write back so she would know how and where I was.