47 - Piano

"How is your arm?"

Standing before Rose, I glanced at her right arm which was hidden underneath the long sleeves. It had barely over a month since the surgery; I knew her arm was still carefully bandaged. The long sleeves purposely hid it because our family did not want the public to know the truth.

"I'm well" Rose smiled softly – looking happy that I am talking to her.

The last time we spoke, I've told her to stay away. But people just never listen to me.

"Don't go"

Rose was a bit frantic when she saw me turning to leave. She didn't notice our parents standing close by with glaring eyes directed at me. I've told Rose to stay away from me because I knew that's what our parents wanted. Why couldn't Rose understand that?

"Calla, please_"

"Rose! Eli!"

All of a sudden, we were surrounded by a good looking group of young people. As always, whenever Rose Lind and Eli Frye are together, people flock to them.

"Oh, who's this?"

One of the young woman glanced at me with a sly smile before she turned her attention back to Rose. Rose maintained her perfect calm, elegant poise as she smiles.

"My sister Calla"

"You're sister?"

Some gave a fake surprised look – others grin slyly. Meanwhile, Eli Frye held have tight hold of my hand. His expression was calm and indifferent like the group of people was nothing to him. What is he doing? It was obvious that the group were peaking at Eli Frye's hold on my hand. Everyone in our world knew Eli Frye had been Rose Lind's fiancé.

"You're very generous Rose" One of the women spoke in a polite tone but her words were filled with hidden malice.

We were being looked at like fools. Rose and Eli both held their usual calm composure, while I forced myself to remain indifferent even as my hand was trembling in Eli's hold.

"How am I generous?" Rose smiles, nonchalant by the young woman's obvious attacks in her words.

With Rose's response, she dared the woman to answer. The woman's smile froze as if she didn't expect Rose to return the question to her. No one would dare speak of Eli Frye and Rose Lind's past engagement – especially when the couple appeared unconcerned by the broken engagement to begin with. On top of that, both family and the couple still appear to be in good terms. Although it was strange, no one dare question the family or couple, especially since no one could afford to offend them.

"Rose, Calla"

On cue, Michael and Ivy Lind came to us. Seeing that our parents appeared, the young group quickly made their greetings and left like little children who just got scold by adults.

"We're in the public eyes" Michael Lind eyes were shooting daggers at me. "Even if you don't care for your reputation, you want to drag your sister_"

"Daddy!" Rose quickly grabbed her father's arm. "Please! You promised me"

"Just look at what she's doing?" Michael continued with controlled anger. "To your fiancé no less"

"Daddy, Eli and I are just friends. We always been just friends" Rose pleaded desperately. "I already told you so many times. We both agreed to end the engagement. We both_"

"Rose" Ivy Lind went to Rose's side. "Be careful"

Rose was getting agitated which caused our mother to be concern about her still healing arm.

"Let go Eli Frye" I had enough. "You've embarrassed me enough"

Eli Frye looked at me with quiet eyes.

"Why do you care what anyone say or thinks?" He asked me gently.

I knew I shouldn't care. I knew I should stay strong. I knew I should just ignore everything. But I can't. I still can't.

"Don't force me" I looked straight up into his violet eyes.

Slowly, he finally let go of my hand. Then all of a sudden, in that moment, the host made an announcement, asking Rose if she could give honor to everyone there by performing a small piece. GKP CEO, himself, made the announcement. I could see father and mother's hidden anxious expression and understood Rose was in no condition to perform. Everyone knew that Rose was currently taking time off from performing in the New York symphony. Everyone had assumed it was because she was exhausted from all the performance and need a break. The public does not know Rose was currently having therapy on her right arm and hand.

How could she play the piano?