15 - Akaoto

I don't consider myself a food connoisseur, but when it comes to good food, there isn't a place in the city I don't know about. However, Eli Frye managed to catch me off guard with the hidden Japanese restaurant in the basement of Akaoto – a popular jazz lounge. Because Akaoto is one of the city's hot spot, there is always a long line of people waiting outside to enter. Celebrities who want to be seen would drive their car to the marked valet entrance. Others like Eli Frye never like the limelight so would drive to the undisclosed corridor beyond the entrance which takes him directly into a private parking lot.

"Eli, welcome!"

As Eli Frye opened the passenger door, I stepped out to see a man in his late twenties.

"Eric called earlier today and told me you were coming"

Hearing him mentioned Eric Bloom, I realized how well connected Eli Frye and his friends are. The man was very good looking in the dark tan suit and black tie. His dark hair, hazel eyes, and light skin revealed his mixed race. One look and I could guess that the sharply dressed man was either the Owner of the establishment or someone close to the Owner.

"She is..."

I could see the surprise in his eyes once he noticed me beside Eli Frye. While he waited for Eli Frye to introduce us, silence was met instead. Seeing that expressionless man will not introduce me, I stepped forward with a polite smile.

"It's Calla" Since I didn't know where he knew Rose or not, I purposely undisclosed my family name.

"Akira Shirai" The man shook my hand with a polite smile. "Welcome to Akaoto, Miss Calla"

I returned the polite smile. It was a bit amusing when the man continued to hold my hand long after the introduction ended.

"You can let go" Eli Frye's cold voice made Akira Shirai realized his unappropriated action.

"I_ I have a private room ready for you" Akira Shirai quickly recovered and smiled. "Please follow me"

Seeing how the man swiftly turned and walked to the unidentified stainless steel door, I brought a hand to my lips to suppress the giggles.

"He and Carter are cousins"

Immediately, any good opinion I had for Akira Shirai soured. Anyone related to that snake will not be in my good list.

"Pity..." I muttered under my breath before looking up at Eli Frye. "Why are you friends with him anyways?"

Unintentionally, I let the question slipped out. Knowing it was rude of me to ask, I tried to retract the comment.

"Fly" Eli Frye didn't disapprove my question; instead, he answered. "Can't get rid it..."

My eyes blinked several times as I stared at the man. Fly? Ben Carter was Eli Frye's childhood friend. They knew each other when they were in still in diapers. But Eli Frye think Ben Carter was a fly – a bug that constantly cling to the air around you, refusing to go away no matter how much you swat at it. If Ben Carter hears how his supposed best friend thinks of him, he'll probably burst out in tears. The thought made me laugh so hard that my stomach hurts.

"How could you say that about your friend?" I continued to laugh. "He's cry if_"

My laugh was cut short when I realized Eli Frye was looking at me with a soft smile. Embarrassed that I had been laughing so openly, I avoided his eyes only to see Akira Shirai waiting for us at the opened door with an amused smile. Not wanting to embarrass myself any further, I rushed off hearing Eli Frye's soft chuckles as he followed after me.

I really need to get a hold of myself.