13 - Another Chess Game

Three days after the Aion's Game Event, I was called to grandfather's office at Lind Corporation. I've been avoiding Lind Corp. and Aion for a while now and figured it would not be good if I continued to avoid the old man. James Lind, after all, will not tolerate anyone snubbing him. Even if he accepts me as his granddaughter, it doesn't mean he will always spoil me. I knew better than to push that button nonstop.

"Your sick leave is about to expire. It's time for you to get back to your work"

Halfway through the chess game and the old man already begin to nag at me.

"I want a vacation" I muttered under my breath.

"No"

I didn't respond - instead, I checkmate his king. In silence, I watched as the old man set the chess pieces carefully back to their position on the board. It seems my grandfather really like his birthday gift.

"Richard is doing well" I sat back on the single sofa seat while looking at James Lind. "From the start, I don't need to be there"

The old man ignored me until every chess piece went back to its original position.

"The contract condition" He sat back in his leather chair as he looked at me with his usual poker expression. "If you want out, pay for it"

On top of returning 15 million consultation fees, I have to pay an additional 30% to buy back the contract. It was the written conditions from the very start. I have no problem paying, but my pride will not allow it.

"Even if you want to pay for it, I will not accept"

Startled by the familiar voice, I turned to see Eli Frye and Ben Carter beside Andrew Marks at the front double doors of grandfather's office.

"What are you doing here?" I frowned.

The men walked over to the lounging area where grandfather and I were sitting.

"We have appointment with Mr. Lind" Ben Carter gave me an all knowing smile.

"Is that so" I stood. "If that's the case, I'll leave you to_"

"Sit down" My grandfather order sternly.

I turned and saw how serious the old man was. I didn't have a choice but to sit back down.

"You two have your seat"

James Lind casually motioned the two young men to take the empty seats by me.

"If you want to back out on the contract" Grandfather reminded me. "You will have to pay Aion as well"

Again, my pride will not have me pay these men even if it's a penny.

"55.2 million" Ben Carter grinned at me. "You sure you want to pay us?"

I glared at Ben Carter - not caring to hide my distain for him.

"I won't accept it" Eli Frye spoke as sternly as James Lind.

Why are these men ganging up on me?

"Calla" Grandfather's voice hinted his disappointment in me.

I remained silent, staring at the chess board.

"How about we play a game?" Ben Carter continued to smile at me. "For 55.2 million. If you win, I'll pay the contract for you"

"If I lose?"

"Come back to Aion"

I looked at the snake, trying to see through his scheme.

"Are you afraid?"

The snake was taunting me with his tail. Very well, I want to see how he will bite at me.

"Fine. If I win, 55.2 million belong to me. If I lose, I'll come back to Aion"

"So you'll play?"

"Black or white?"

"Ladies first"

So I'm white. I made the first move without hesitation. Ben Carter followed suit with a playful grin on his face. Ten minutes later, Ben Carter sat back laughing even though he loss. I had been confused until Eli Frye began to set the chess pieces back to their position.

"I'll be your opponent"

I look at Eli Frye with furrow brows.

"If you win, I'll pay 110.4 million... If I win..." He looked at me with an unreadable expression. "Have dinner with me"

Eyes wide, I stared at him. What did he say?

"You_"

"Are you afraid?"

Now it was Eli Frye's turn to taunt me? I glanced at Ben Carter seeing the suppressed laughter. I knew this was his trap. How am I supposed to say no to Eli Frye when I already agreed to play with Ben Carter? Was I afraid? Yes, I was afraid. I am confident in my skills in chess. But it was Eli Frye who had introduced me to the game. The man probably doesn't even remember that it was him who taught me the rules. It was him who made me love the game.

A flashback of my childhood showed a young boy with his stoic expression teaching a small girl how each chess piece move through the board.

"Calla" Eli Frye's voice brought me out of my memory. "You can go first"

Looking at him, I hesitated. Looking at the chess board, I was even more reluctant to move.

"Calla..."

But I couldn't run away. He wouldn't let me run. So I picked up a pawn and made my first move.

"I win..."

Ten minutes later, I found my king in his hand. The office was silent until Ben Carter's laughter filled it. Embarrassed, I couldn't look at anyone.

"Shut up" Eli Frye voice dropped coldly.

Ben Carter's laughter immediately cut short.

"Calla" Eli Frye called as soon as I stood up.

I looked at him calmly, not showing a flicker of my emotion.

"Dinner" I asked him. "Where do you want to go?"

He stared at me for a moment.

"I'll pick you up at 7"

I didn't want him to pick me up, but I was in no condition to argue with him. I have lost after all.

"Fine" I turned to leave but stopped at the door. "Oh, Mr. Carter"

I turned to look coldly at Ben Carter.

"55.2 million, I expect the check in hand when I come into Aion Monday"

"W_ What?" Ben Carter was clearly startled. "But you lost_"

"To Mr. Frye, yes" My smile grew colder. "You lost to me"

"I_"

"Grandpa and Mr. Frye are witnesses" I smirked. "If you can't afford to pay, I can put use to your skills elsewhere. This 55.2 million will be collected one way or another"

I left the office feeling somewhat better. At least I can still torture the snake.