1 : Broken Engagement

Eli Frye and Rose Lind broke off their engagement.

                That was the headline of the Society Page.

Eli Frye and Rose Lind had been engaged since they were both sixteen years old - knew each other since they were ten. The two had been the golden couple of the world of the rich and the powerful. Everyone had believed the two were perfect for each other - born to be with each other. No one had expected for the couple to suddenly break off the engagement. They have done it publicly through one of the most prestigious newsletter - the Society Page. 

                Staring blankly at my laptop, I saw the beautiful photo of Eli and Rose. The story that accompanied the photo became meaningless to me because the only thing that my mind could process was that Eli Frye and my sister have broken their engagement.

Why?

                Why did they suddenly break off their five-year engagement? Did Rose break it off? Did Eli break it off?

Why?

                There was no joy to the news. All I felt was confused. What had happened for those two to end their childhood relationship? I hadn't gone the old route and caused my father's company to go bankrupt. With that, my sister engagement shouldn't be effected. There was no reason for the break up. The two families have too tight of a bond to let them break it off like that. My father cares too much about my sister and Eli's engagement to allow for it to end.

The memory of Eli Frye's kiss still haunts me.

                Eli Frye could have ended the engagement because of me. Impossible! The man never noticed - never knew I existed until recently. On the other hand, he had been with my sister for years. Even if the engagement is mainly to unite the two families, there were still feelings between Eli and Rose. I've seen them hug, hold hands, and kiss.

Why?

                I have so many questions, but who can I ask? More importantly, why do I want to ask those questions? What rights do I have?

It's not even my business!

                Closing my laptop, I dropped back down into the bed and stare up into the skylight ceiling. It was already late in the night and I have class early next day.

But how could I possibly go to bed after reading that article?