31 - Endure

I woke up feeling groggy. After Eli Frye's confession the previous night, I tirelessly dreamed of the past.

My ten year old self met Eli Frye for the first time at his father, Aaron Frye's birthday celebration. While Rose was surrounded by everyone, I was left alone in the corner. I hadn't want to see how loved Rose was, so I left the banquet hall. Wondering aimlessly in the quiet empty garden, I was soon lost. Hopelessness filled me as I tried to retrace my steps through the maze-like rose bushes. Just as I was about to cry, I found him. Sitting in the middle of the path, surrounded by white roses, the older boy was just sitting there with a laptop on his lap. He had been so focus on the screen that he hadn't noticed my presence.

"Who are you?"

Eli Frye finally looked up from his laptop to see me staring at him. I had been spellbound my his vivid blue eyes. Before I could control my heart, it had already been stolen from me.

"Miss Calla"

The dream had been so vivid that I found my heart pounding when I woke. Bitterness swelled inside me as I lay in bed. I couldn't do anything but stare up at the skylight ceiling.

"Miss Calla" George repeated outside my bedroom doors.

"Come in George" I forced my body to sit up as the door opened.

The dear old man pushed in a tray of breakfast crepe and tea.

"You're spoiling me George" I smiled softly.

George, with his usual kind smiles, set the tray on my lap.

"Shall I prepare something else for you?" George asked seeing that I'm only staring blankly at the crepe.

"No, this look delicious" I wasn't hungry but I couldn't waste the old man's effort

"Will you attend class today?" George asked while pouring me a cup of tea.

While I ate quietly, I pondered his question. It should be safe for me to go since the media have been handled.

"Yes"

There was no reason for me to skip class. Even if I was in no mood to go anywhere or do anything, I was not going to ruin my last year at Yale. I did not work hard for the degree only to fail due to lack of attendance.

"Then I shall prepare your things"

"Thank you George"

Again, George smiled before leaving the room.

"Get it together Calla..." I whispered to myself.

I spent the morning eating in silence before heading to the university. The entire time, I pushed the thoughts of the past and Eli Frye to the back of my mind. I simply did not have time to mope around.

"Princess! You're back!"

Once I entered the linguistic building, several of my classmates appeared and surrounded me. While the group of men express their concerns at my recent absence, I could only smile wryly. I had only missed two days of class. Was it really worth the concerns? And didn't Andrew Marks called the school to let them know that I had been "sick"?

"If you're still feeling unwell, just relax in the back." One of the guys offered.

"I can take notes for you." Another offered.

"Thank you but I'm ok" I replied with a polite smile.

Before they could offer anything else, I went to take a seat. I tried to ignore their usual bickering as they fit for the seats beside me.

Seriously, the linguistic department needs more female students.

With a tired sigh, I could only endured the next couple of hours, trying to catch up to the school work.