Shadow (The Clock Part 1)

Start from the beginning

I was close.

In fact, I was there.

On another twisting turn after almost losing the path, I lifted my head up at a dim light in the distance. Like moonlight from above. As I glanced around, trees on fire sprung up out of nowhere, blazing hot and glaring down upon my soul like demons from hell. Though strangely enough, no smoke cloudy the sky. It was clear as daylight. I moved forwards through the burning forest, feeling the heat scorch my scales and tear up my eyes.

It was only one turn later when a body laying in the clearing opened up in my eyes. The dinosaur was red all over, some with white scaled portion showing out.........wait.

That white part was its skin.

That was Whiteclaw!

"Oh my..." I trailed off with a widened mouth hanging open as fear settled into my gut and onto my friend. The red coloring was actual his blood, and the blackened parts were his partially healing wounds. He looked as if he got ripped apart literally, or as if some firestorm disintegrated most of him.

I couldn't even tell if that was him on the first initial glance.

His body laid on the side, jaws open as if about to roar, and eyelids half-open. His tail curled around, broken and dead, while his belly was exposed, showing tons of flesh and bone.

The sight itself made me almost puke, and I backed up into a tree in terror to grab some air before I could even hyperventilate.

He was really dead.

He was really dead...

"Oh Whiteclaw," I wept, "What have we've done?"

"Actually," A voice hissed on the outside of my ears, "You've all done a lot. For all of us."

A Deinonychus-shaped shadow or evil of some sort broke away from the darkness in the forest, grinning evilly, eyes bright red and locked upon me. I breathed hard once, snorting in anger as I stared at him.

Whiteclaw's blood was on his claws.

"What are you..."

He looked so much like Whiteclaw...

"You don't remember me?" The shadow sounded surprised, "I thought you'd be smarter than Whiteclaw, not so clueless as-"

"I don't know you, nor do I care."

The shadow narrowed his eyes.

"Aren't you afraid of me youngling?" It asked next. I shook my head.

"Why not? Surely you're not as dumb as-"

"In fact, I'm going to rip you apart for what you did to Whiteclaw," I snarled, bending my knees into a stance. I let out a little roar at the Deinonychus, lifting my tail high like how Whiteclaw once did, and moved slowly to him.

"Now Shadow-"

"I'm going to freaking KILL YOU!" I half-wept, half-growled, and I could tell as each of my footsteps shook the earth, he grew more and more nervous and angered. I let out another powerful roar, edging closer for the kill.

Then I lunged, widening my mouth for a bite force more powerful than I could ever imagine. But when my jaws crashed shut upon each other, which quaked my mouth, the shadow was gone. Moreso, I never actually got it, which felt like it was way beyond impossible to get away with.