Chapter 7

Jasper stopped when they were high enough in the woods. He put Danielle down. The brunette was unsteady, as her legs shaked a bit from the adrenaline she just got.

"Are you alright, Dani?" Jasper asked worried that he startled the girl.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that... I'm not used to these things." Danielle chuckled.

Jasper gave her a small smile. Danielle saw the rays of sun, hitting through the trees. She stood up putting her hand in the sun. She smiled at the sight.

"Come here, Jasper! Look at that." she said smiling.

Jasper took a deep breath, although he didn't need to breathe, to get his confidence. He stood next to Danielle. His face in the sunlight. Danielle looked at Jasper and gasped, when she saw his pale skin, shining in the sunlight. Jasper stood beside her a little conflicted. He didn't know what the gasp, the girl gave meant. He was afraid that Danielle was disgusted with him. But soon Danielle took all his thoughts away when she put a hand, on his shining cheek, stroking it gently with her thumb. Jasper looked up at her. He saw the girl smiling, one of the most innocent smiles he has ever seen.

"You look beautiful, Jasper." Danielle said looking into his eyes.

At that statement Jasper relaxed.

"You're saying a monster like me is beautiful." he tried to put the girl off.

"No, I'm saying the person I fell in love with is beautiful." Danielle said and looked around "There's nobody else around, so I think it was about you." Danielle whispered jokingly and laughed.

Jasper laughed with her, the love for this girl could be seen in his eyes. The two went to sit in a shade of a tree. Danielle sat facing Jasper as he leaned on a tree with his back.

"I was thinking, Hale is not your real name right?" Danielle asked randomly.

"No, my real name is Jasper Withlock." he said without any emotion.

"Jasper Withlock." Danielle repeated "I like it!" she said enthusiastic making the boy laugh.

She laughed together with him, taking his hand in hers and stroking it, as she explored the scars on his arms.

"What are these?" she asked saddened.

"They are battle scars." Jasper sighed, he knew he would have to tell her one day "Before I got turned into a vampire, I was the youngest Major in the Texas cavalry, during the Civil War. While evacuating the women and children, I saw three women from afar. I went up to them and asked if they needed help. Before I knew, Maria had bitten me. She had an army of newborns, that are 'new born' vampires." he bit his lip before continuing "I was in charge of training them. And when they lost their strength or simply were not good enough, I had to kill them." he stopped and looked at Danielle, but the girl just kept looking at his scars, so he continued "I felt their pain, when I was killing them all. I thought what I and Maria had was love, but that was a lie. I was merely a puppet and she played the strings. So I ran away. I didn't know there was another way. I fed on humans and I was a blood-thirsty vampire. But then I found Alice. She saw me coming ofcourse. She introduced me to the Cullens and they thaught me how to live without harming anyone." the blonde smiled at the memory, but soon his smile faded.

Jasper looked at Danielle who was still staring at the scars on his arm, with her head down. He thought that she felt disgusted. It's not like he didn't think about it or expected it. He tried to pull his arm away but Danielle held it tighter. He looked surprised at the girl who slowly raised her head, with tears dropping from her eyes. She was crying softly but now that he had seen her tears she didn't hold back. She put her hands behind his back, hugging him, as she laid on his body, and cried without holding back. Jasper sat still, shocked, not knowing what was happening, or what he should do. He sensed her emotions, sadness, pity, guilt. He didn't know why Danielle felt that way or why she didn't feel disgusted or angry with him. When Danielle calmed down, she pulled away from him, softly and carefully. Jasper's shock didn't seem to go away as he stared at her face, tears on her cheeks and still flowing from her eyes.