十二

chapter twelve!

GAUCHE

It would be a lie to say that she slept fine

No, she wasn't nervous about anything— it was just from Ukai staying up late to analyze the tapes recorded of Aoba Jōhsai. Through the thin walls of the traditionally built interior of the house, Mina could hear every single noise coming from the monitor in his room; from the crowds to the sounds of the ball rebounding, she could hear it all.

And now here she was, sitting in front of her hand mirror with a fatigued look. The brunette tried to look presentable but it didn't look anything too significant; dressed up in a white shirt, the hem of its front tucked into a cozy pair of rolled up mom jeans. Possibly the only thing she had different on was her pair of round spectacles that served the littlest purpose on her part.

"Mina-chan! Are you ready?" She could hear Ukai's mother call out from the outside hall. "Takinoue is here already!"

"Y-Yes!" Quick in her movements, she reached for her phone and scrambled to stand up, soothing down the crinkles on her clothes before opening the door and rushing down the stairs. Mina was met with the sight of Ukai's mother appearing from behind the dining room's walls, a wrapped sandwich in hand.

"Here, take this and eat it on the way, alright?" The woman's eyes skimmed through Mina's appearance and noticed the faint dark rims under her eyes. A frown graced her visage knowing fully well the reason for it. "I bet Ukai was up late— goodness, that boy will never change. Don't worry, I'll give him a good scolding when he comes back. Now, go! Enjoy the game, alright?"

And so she scuttled away, slipping her shoes on and running off to see the two adults, Takinoue and Shimada chattering animatedly beside a mini truck. Her steps grazing against the pavement caught their attention, perking up as they both waved at her.