五十六

chapter fifty-six!

GAUCHE

WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMANS DO

But when in Tokyo, what do the Tokyo people do? Kageyama wasn't really sure either. His day took a sour turn when a nimwad made a pass at Mina early on, and things only worsened when he spotted him and his friends on the platform after getting off the train. His scowl deepened as he swiftly guided Mina in the opposite direction, navigating through the throngs of people towards the exit. The bustling streets, teeming with crowds, felt almost overwhelming to him, coming from a modest area in Miyagi. Meanwhile, Mina appeared calm as she focused on her notes, standing beside him in a corner so they wouldn't get smushed by the public. He couldn't help but think that her city upbringing had likely made her accustomed to this hustle and bustle.

It's not like it was his first time being here—he's been to Tokyo countless times. Though even during his recent visit for the volleyball camp, he still found it challenging to follow the chaotic pace of city life, contrasting sharply with the serene countryside ambiance he was accustomed to. To him, even the busy streets of Sendai looked nothing in comparison to Tokyo.

"Almost eleven now and my audition is at two..." Mina hums as she looks around, slightly drowning from Kageyama's oversized jacket. "There is a mall close from here. Maybe ten minutes walking—you wanna check, Tobio-kun?"

"Sure."

He adjusts the guitar straps with a shrug as Mina's arm wraps around his, and they begin walking. Despite the expected ten-minute walk, she frequently got distracted by their surroundings, pausing to marvel at the items displayed behind shop windows and occasionally snapping a few pictures along the way. It would've been fine if it was her alone but she made a point of asking other people to take their pictures as well, resulting in him appearing stiff and awkward in the pictures. Kageyama couldn't bear to say no either since she was enjoying herself a lot.

"Oh, Tobio-kun, look!" Mina lets out a soft gasp as she leans against the window, her warm breath causing the glass to fog up. She turns to him with an elated smile while she points at the display— a bunch of crocheted animal keychains hung on a tiny rack. "Keychains! They're so cute, right?"