四十七

chapter forty-seven!

GAUCHE

PERHAPS IT WAS the excitement and delight that was coursing through Mina's veins that managed to get her out of bed at seven thirty in the morning, cooking up a storm inside the Ukai household's kitchen. The rhythmic noise of her cutting vegetables softly echoes through the room, only to be mildly drowned out by her hums and the radio playing in the background. On the table, there's a huge bento box container that had various dishes on the side such as chicken karaage, onigiri, tamagoyaki, and Kageyama's favorite which was pork curry with an egg on top. Then, on the other container was the desserts which was varied sliced fruits and Mina's famous chocolate chip cookies— the cookies that her mother and father would constantly bicker about when getting the last one.

Cooking wasn't the girl's forte, but she wouldn't exactly say that she's completely terrible at it. If there was a recipe that she could follow, then it's smooth sailing from there. And more than anything, she's much better at it compared to her twin sister. Their mother has always told them that knowing how to cook is a basic necessity in life and that everyone should learn how to do it, hence the reason why the twins were taught quite often by their mother and if not, there was the old lady who took care of them when their parents weren't around. She was the one who furthered their skills (specifically Mina's) in cooking. The only reason why Mina was ahead of Minji in this aspect was because the latter chose to skip these lessons and head off to cram school instead.

With a sprinkle of chives and some sesame seeds on top of the pork curry, Mina hums in satisfaction when she sees the complete product. She shuffles around the kitchen, gathering the items she needs before finally packing up the bento boxes into a basket and then setting them aside while she now heads to get ready. The routine is the same as every mornings which is kicked off with a shower, then followed by the preparations. What spun the whole thing different this morning was that Mina had placed a lot more time and effort into appearance.