Soon, he was standing in his own puddle of tears as he dropped to the ground. I kept holding him and comforting him. Leading him over to the couch, "He doesn't deserve this, he's just a kid." Daniel sobbed. I sat him down and let his head rest in my lap, "I know. I know, but we have to be strong for him. Lord knows how strong he's being right now," I choked out as I gently ran my fingers through his hair. "Bless his heart," Daniel spoke with a fierce quaking in his voice. His tears slowly stopped flowing. Then we sat there silent. My lip quivering softly.

Everyone had gone to their own rooms to leave us alone. They also went up to silently mourn what had happened. Then I felt my phone ringing in my pocket. I saw my dads number and immediately answered.

"Dad? How is he?"

"Doc says he should be okay, as long as nothing else happens to him. That car crash 2 years ago nearly left him brain dead. Another incident like that and he's gone. They fixed his arm and his bruises will be gone in the mean time and I'm gonna take some time off of work to stay at home with him"

"I can come home if I need to"

"No. It's too risky. You stay there until your mom gets found"

"Dad. I am not losing the one thing that keeps me sane. I'm coming home."

"No, Ayla. If anything, I'll send Carter to you. At least until your mother gets found."

"Deal. Send him as soon as possible."

Daniels head shot up to the sound of that. He grabbed my arm, "Can we talk to him?" I nodded.

"Dad, can we talk to Carter?"

"Absolutely, here he is."

There was a quiet muffling before I heard his sweet voice.

"Ayla?"

My depression dropped as I heard him Daniel teared up and took the phone, putting it on speaker.

"Hey, Little Guy, it's Daniel. How are you?"

"Eh, I've been better."

We laughed at the sound of his humor that he didn't mean to be funny but we thought it was the cutest thing. Jack started making his way down, then heard Carter and sprinted. Followed by the rest of the gang.

"Carter! My man!"

"Hi, Jack, and everyone else"

"Hey Carter!"

"Where's Ayla?"

"I'm here buddy, what is it"

I heard his 'crying' voice start.

"I wanna go with you, I'm scared,"

"Don't worry baby. Nothing is gonna happen to you. Dad is gonna pack you a bag and you're gonna come stay with us for a little bit, okay?"

"Really?! I get to go with you guys?"

"Of course! We'd love to have you, C."

"Yay! Daddy says I have go because there's a nurse waiting outside so bye, love you."

"Love you!"

I hung up and sucked in my tears. "Carter is gonna stay with us. As long as he needs to. I will not let anyone, or anything, hurt him anymore." I grumbled as I whipped out my laptop, beginning to look for flights and sending them to my dad.

"Whatever you need to do, Ayla. Carter is a part of our family. We'll do everything in our power to protect him," Jonah said as he sat down next to me. I kept searching. Thinking of what Carter did to deserve all of this.

-

By now, it was 9:30 and we were all wide awake. Christina, Daniel, Corbyn and I were in a tough game of Scrabble, when Christina groaned and scattered the board, ruining our game. "Christina!" I yelled as I laughed at her annoyance with the game. She was losing by a long shot. Daniel yawned and went to join foosball with the rest of the boys, Corbyn following him.

I hopped over to Christina and helped her clean up the tiles of mess. "I haven't seen Carter in forever, now that I think about it" I picked up a handful of tiles as I listened to her words. "Yeah, he'll love seeing you after so long," I smiled at the thought of Carter running excitedly into Christina's arms when he sees her.

-

here's another chapter for you limelights, i'm sorry i've been taking forever to post, but the chapter is better when it takes longer

anty ways, i love you all

don't forget to comment and vote

12/8/17