16. Midnight memories

Start from the beginning

Accepting the truth was quite well, let just say, it hurt his ego. He felt embarrassed. It was like putting his pride on stake.

But then, once again, his pride was nothing in comparison to his care for her. He will never accept it but... but he can do anything for her, just to make her smile once again.

"I am not charity River, I am capable of taking care of myself." She spit angrily, totally ignoring the hurt look on his face.

"You're right. I shouldn't have cared for you. It's just a fucking waste of time." And he turned towards the balcony to get out of her room.

She looked at his retreating figure and a silent tear fell from her eyes.

She threw all her anger on him. She bursted out in front of him, she took out all her frustration on him, all her pressed emotions on him.

He was just about to jump on the nearby tree through which he had reached there, when, "You are leaving?" Her voice was timid and soft and somewhere it was enough for him, good enough for him to stay.

"Give me one good reason, one good reason to make me stay." His voice was soft and yah, he stopped himself from going away.

Turning around, he looked at Faye, the girl who was on the floor, the girl who was somewhere begging him to stay, the girl who was broke.

"I... I am sorry." She said as tears fell out of her eyes.

He was instantly by her side, holding her, pressing her to his chest, wiping her tears, "Why... why can't he... he like me River? Why?" She sobbed, her hands tightly wrapped around him, her head on his chest.

They remained their for minutes, both in each other's arm, not blurting a single word. It felt like they are just in the right place, both of their figures making one. That was how close they were to each other, so close that there was no space for air to invade.

It was all soft and silent for some minutes, until,"Trust me when I say this, he don't deserve you." River muttered under his breath, making Faye look at him with red, teary eyes.

"More like I don't deserve him." She said as he wiped the strain of tears from her cheeks.

"You got alcohol?" He asked, standing up from their position on the floor and helping Faye do the same.

Faye silently nodded, "You take the blankets, am coming." And she walked out of the room, leaving River beside.

What am I gonna do with her?

Yes, he threatened Justin. He threatened Justin to get him away from her. He wanted her to be safe and yes, he don't and never will trust any guy with her.

I will never let anyone hurt her.

And thinking that, he grabbed the blankets from her closet, making his way towards the terrace.
************************************

"Yes, yes I used those pickup lines on those chicks." He laughed, taking a sip from his can, his eyes on her as she bursted out laughing.

"You are crazy, horrible. Poor girls, god..." She laughed, not a single tear visible in her eyes.

"I had an hand imprint on my cheeks for the rest of the night. And Zach, that bastard, he even hit on that girl using more of those fucked up lines." He said, laying on the blanket, a small smile visible in his features.

"And I guess, you just sat on a corner for the rest of the night?" She asked, laughing as she opened her can.

They were talking about River and Zach's summer holidays in Spain. They were talking about their lame pickup lines that they used on those Spanish girls.