57. Wrapped up Gifts

"little by little she's
learning to love her own self ,
and it might be slow, but she's certain
in letting go of all the things
that tell her she shouldn't."

–The Golden Girl
(Edited)

*******

Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

The old grandfather clock in the busy dining kept announcing her absence from time to time, and he went for the empty glass for the nth time, oblivious of his increasing anxiety.

"Excuse me..." And then he raised the glass that he held by his handkerchief to the only waiter available, indicating that he wanted him to fill it up.

"Sure. Um, are you ready to order now, sir?" The waiter asked, as politely as possible.

A man sitting at the diner, literally using a sanitizer to clean his hands from time to time, was a source of entertainment for some.

And some were curious.

Someone important. With a Burberry suit, loaded with cash, practical eyes, screaming richness, sitting in an old, cheap diner that served breakfast to the working class men and women. Of course, people were eager to know what he was there for.

Arthur Lockwood sat there, glaring, at no one in particular, his phone placed in his ears, his lips moving, cancelling a meeting after the another.

It's been an hour. She was still not here.

He knew he deserved it though.

His eyes went to the doorway once again, the urge of leaving the place being too strong.

He knew he could not leave. There was a reason why she choose this place. To make him feel suffocated. To make him feel trapped. To make him angry. To make him leave.

But he was determined. Determined to make it better.

He didn't want forgiveness. He wanted to apologise.

For everything.

***********************************************

On the other side of the road, a camera made a snapping sound, making Faye look up from her phone and smile.

Instead of walking faster, she opened her back camera and snapped some pictures of the man.

Paparazzi.

She waved at him with a laugh before making her way towards the old diner, where Mr. Arthur Lockwood was supposed to be waiting for her.

He has probably left.

Its fine. Even if she doesn't find him there, she will just have breakfast and leave. She had things to do anyway.

As she walked, she thought about what River had said before she left the house.

"Babe, you're not going there to forgive him, you're going there to let go of the past. You're going so that you could find the answers to the questions that have constantly bugged you since your childhood. You're going for your own self. You don't owe him anything. Remember that, always."