Partners in Cream

Roman and Neo

Neo. The name he gave me.

"Neo!"

My boss.

"Ah. Hello Neo."

My friend.

"Thank you Neo."

My lover. His obnoxiously orange hair and that hideous hat of his. I've told him... Well written him many notes to get rid of it and I'll get him a new one.

Everytime he would tip the hat off his head and say that it's a special gift from me. So therefore I can't get rid of it.

I can still remember the first day we met.

I cower in the corner of the alleyway, nudged between the dumpster and the building.

Shouting reaches my ears and a young boy with orange hair ducks into the alleyway. He holds his breath as a group of people run passed. The boy finally slumps against the alley wall and pants heavily.

I spot a loaf of bread in one hand and two apples tucked under his arm. My stomach growls at the sight of food and the young boy jumps. He looks over to me and I shrink farther into the corner as humanly possible.

The boy holds out his hand and smiles. "Hi! I'm Roman!"

I blink and stare at his hand. Slowly I place my own hand in his, after having watched people, I have come to understand common greetings.

The boy frowns and I flinch away. "What's your name?"

I shakily point to my throat and shake my head. His mouth makes a silent Oh before he decides to speak. "Well. Do you have a name?" I shake my head and lower my gaze. Roman hums and taps his chin. "How about... Neapolitan? Like the ice cream?"

Not wanting to anger the boy, I nod my head. He smiles and breaks the bread in two before handing me a half and an entire apple. "Eat up. You look hungry."

I stare at the food in front of me in shock and look up to the boy. Who not only named me, but has saved me. I... I will always follow this boy. So that I can one day repay that debt.

And I followed him. For years and years to come. They were happy times. Full of adrenaline and laughter.

My aura flares momentarily and I look up. An illusion that my semblance made. An illusion of the young Roman beckoning for me to follow him. I reach out a shaky hand to grasp his and the mirror shatters. The boy gone and all there is before me are dark buildings. I clutch the bowler cap in my hands and slowly raise it to my head. The soft silk insides brush against my skin and hair as it settles on my head. I loop my umbrella on my belt and pick up his cane.

The alley looms as I stare at the spot I promised to follow that crazy orange haired boy all those years ago. On a brick where my back was, a small memory of times long past.

Romen an Neo Bst Frendz

I turn away from the alley and disappear into the night. Soon Roman. Soon.