21

"So... what did you think of Abel's little project?" Diana asked with a gleeful little smirk as the two of them were walking off towards Maddox's car.

Akela just shook her head, smiling widely.

"I can't believe he built that. It is such a wonderful home!" she said quietly, trying not to get overwhelmed again. Most of the afternoon she had walked around the half-finished building, discussing decor, furniture and practicalities with Abel. 

And at every turn, in every room, he had remembered to ask what Kira would like. Or if Kira would like to have it the same as Akela.

By the end of it, Akela had left the house, imagining how it would look like finished, lived in, filled with love, life, laughter.

Diana only watched Akela's delighted smile and nodded. The gratitude was evident in every step the former rogue lycan took.

They arrived at the car and Akela's steps came to an abrupt stop. Next to Maddox, with a bag slung over his shoulder, was the unmistakable figure of Zion.

Guilt rushed through Akela's body, making her take a sudden step back..

She had spent all afternoon, laughing and enjoying how Abel had made her future possible. And her mind had barely touched on Zion.

His cap was in his hand, ready to go on top of his head as soon as the car approached human habitation. There was nothing in his posture to suggest he wanted to look up from the apparently interesting gravel road.

"Hey, Akela! We're a bit strapped for space on the return journey. If you prefer, you can shift and run down with Zeke, but there's space for you in the cage if you still want a ride," Maddox smiled when she finally managed to tear her eyes from Zion.

"I... I need to complete my internship. And Maddox said he'll let me check the firedogs as my final assessment," Zion muttered and looked up from under his eyelashes.

Despite the layer of soreness, his eyes held no resentment towards her.

"Zion... I.." Akela started, but he interrupted her with a tiny shake of the head. A small, crooked smile appeared at the corners of his mouth before his eyes followed and his face lifted.

"It's a pretty amazing house, isn't it?" he asked.

Akela nodded carefully, cautious not to show too much enthusiasm.

"It's okay. I was pretty psyched too when he showed me the first sketches," Zion grinned.

Akela breathed out in relief and felt her own face slowly melt into an apologetic smile. Where Abel made her laugh and blush with his constant flirting and touching, Zion's odd smile made her whole spine feel soft and warm.

"We ready to go?" Ezekiel asked as he and Sam arrived from the village.

"Yeah. What do you want to do Akela? Run or ride?" Maddox asked.

The previous urge to shake some stress off reappeared in her mind.

"Run... If my Alpha agrees," she replied, her head doing an instinctively respectful nod towards her Alpha.

"Your Alpha would love to run with you," Ezekiel smiled and lay a protective arm around her shoulder in a comforting hug.

Akela smiled up at the golden-eyed leader of the valley pack. Not even in her wildest dreams could she have imagined ending up in the care of such a wonderful Alpha. He showed his pack how much he cared for them at every opportunity. Every child born to his pack was given a fund for education at birth. Even Akela had been given something Allie called a "bank account" in a human bank where money was stored for her use.