29

Over the next month, wolves came and went at the Shadow Valley pack. Akela would see visiting ambassadors arrive as wolves and be guided into Ezekiel's office before being fed and sent on their way. Sometimes she would be allowed in and the visitor would stare at her before shaking their head with a comment about there being too much North blood in her to be sure.

The human newspapers were full of dubious reports of an influx of wild dogs in the area. Farmers were fearing for their animals and parents worried about their children. It calmed down when Ezekiel, on behalf of the fire station made an announcement that the town was safe and that the sightings were mostly firedogs on search-and-rescue-training.

Wherever Ezekiel and Gerry sent deltas out, the word would spread and far off packs would send ambassadors, in the hope that maybe Akela was someone they had been missing. Pups would sometimes get lost, youngsters would sometimes go rogue and form new packs, and sometimes a Lycan would choose human life.

The Estuary pack, a pack of tree-dwelling lycans who built homes in the trees around the great river, even sent their Alpha Heir.

Akela was on the back patio, reading up for an exam at school when both Abel and Zion arrived, out of breath and looking stressed out.

Abel's deep, subsonic growl emitted from his wolf shape as he circled Akela as if protecting her.

Zion immediately sat down opposite her at the picnic table and studied her closely.

She frowned and stared back at him with a questioning look in her eyes.

"Has he seen you yet?" Zion asked.  The look in his eyes was a part worry, part fear.

"Who?" Akela asked with a frown.

A fancy rental car had arrived a few hours earlier and four men had disappeared into Ezekiel's office. Akela had not paid them much attention. They would be gone in a few hours anyway. But something in Zion's eyes made her straighten her back.

"The Estuary heir... He's looking for a mate," Zion explained with clear hesitation.

Next to them, Abel shifted into human form and pulled on a pair of sweatpants.

"And he thinks you might be suitable," The fiercer brother snarled.

Akela looked between them.

"Another pack where bond is not required?" she asked carefully.

Zion nodded, not looking up.

"And you are here... because...?" Akela frowned.

"He can forget about taking you!" Abel grumbled.

Akela whipped her head up towards him with annoyed fire blazing in her eyes.

"What the he'll is wrong with males of this damned species? First Preston thinks a cage will keep Kira, and now some asshole thinks I would just go with him. And don't get me started on the pair of you, showing up here and being all fired up! So what if this stranger thinks I might fit into his pack? So what if the two of you are bonded to me? It's still my choice!" Akela nearly growled out towards Abel.

The Connor Beta cowered at the anger and lowered his gaze. Akela's eyes stared at Zion, defying him to say something.

"Don't you dare try that innocent look on me! I sense your emotions. You did not come down here for a social visit!" She hissed.

Abel began pacing again.

"We just thought..." Abel started.

"You just thought you could decide for me," Akela hissed.