Chapter 1: Starting Point

Bring bring bring... Bring bring bring... Bring br-

The sound of an alarm was stopped by a star-shaped tail. The owner of the tail, a small blue and black cat Pokémon called a Shinx, yawned and stretched out on the bed she was sleeping on. It was a plush Pokémon bed that sat at the foot of her trainer's.

Said trainer seemed to be refusing to wake up still, however. Shaking her head, the Shinx jumped up onto the bed and sat in front of her trainer's face. The trainer was a 10 year old girl by the name of Zia Ray Braxs. She had long, stark white hair and bright, enrapturing light blue eyes.

The Shinx tilted her head as she watched Zia furrow her eyebrows, fighting between sleep and consciousness. She's known the girl for 4 years now, meeting each other when the girl was 6. The Shinx remembers the day so clearly.

Zia had been playing with her mother's Butterfree in her backyard in Pallet Town, where they still currently live. When that Butterfree decided to fly off into the forest, Zia followed it but soon lost it and herself in the dense area. The Shinx, having been scavenging for food at that time, found the girl crying as she tried to decide which way to go back home.

The Shinx admired her courage. Zia was scared, but still didn't give up and kept trying to find a way back. So, she helped her find the path back to town. The Shinx left, but came back a few times over the next weeks before eventually just deciding to stay with Zia, who she had grown attached to and vise-versa. Now, after 4 years of friendship, it was time for them to start their journey through the Kanto Region.

But first, Zia needed to wake up.

The electric-type batted at the girl's nose at first, but all Zia did was scratch it and then roll over. Huffing, the Shinx jumped over her body to see her face again. This time, she tried shaking her trainer with her paws. Still, Zia just grumbled and pushed her away.

Having enough, the Shinx released a spark of electricity. "Sky!" Zia yelled her partner's nickname accusingly as she woke up, yelping from the shock as she sat up. The Shinx glared at her knowingly. "Oh, it's today! I almost forgot." She realized and stood up, giving the Shinx a pat on the head before getting dressed and ready.

"Good morning, mom." Zia greeted as she went downstairs, spotting her mother, Ari, in the kitchen making breakfast. "Good morning, Zia, sweetie. You too, Sky." Her mother returned as she began to plate the pancakes she fixed.

"Do you have everything packed?" Ari asked as she set one plate in front of Zia and the other in front of herself as she sat down, Zia doing the same. "Yes, but I'll come back for it after I meet with Professor Oak. I need to say bye to you before I leave." Zia told her as Ari set a bowl of Pokémon food down for Sky.

"Smart choice. I'd chase you down if you left without seeing me again." Her mother told her seriously, and Zia didn't doubt it. They ate breakfast in silence. It was neither good nor bad, the situation being both exciting and saddening. Zia was about to begin her own journey, but she had to leave her mother for a while.

After they were done and washed the plates, Zia and Sky walked down towards Professor Oak's laboratory. It was a building up on the highest hill in Pallet Town. It even had a little windmill on it. "Are you excited, Sky?" Zia asked, smiling down at the Shinx next to her.

She nodded once. "You're not very talkative today." The trainer commented, but received no reply, making Zia shrug. After another couple minutes, they reached the front door. Knocking, they waited a few moments before it opened.