Who is Mr. Sunday?: Part 5

"Why don't we go someplace else? There's a terrific hillock close by. I'll play romantic Jagjit Singh ghazals on my mobile phone," said Machhi in a soft voice.

"Stop following me," warned Helen.

"Ghulam Ali ghazals, then?" teased Machhi.

"I'm here to watch the play, not to listen to your crap," said Helen, looking in the direction of the stage.

"In that case, don't worry: I'll fill you in on all that has happened in the play so far. After all, you have paid the full amount, so you deserve to know the story so far," whispered Machhi.

Helen looked upward in exasperation.

"The old man on the stage playing Sun God is Dada Patil, my dad. The young guy is my friend Vinay. He is playing Anirban, popularly known as Mr. Sunday. I met him at a...never mind. Let's just say we have common tastes, and I like the guy a lot. And that's what happens to people Machhi likes. Until yesterday, he was a nobody. Today, he is the lead actor in a play produced and directed by Dada Patil. What do you think about that?"

Helen maintained her gaze on the stage.

"Except this will likely be his last play with us," said Machhi.

Helen turned to look at Machhi.

"Ah, that interests you, now, does it?" said Machhi. "The guy is the greatest actor I have ever seen--and I have seen the finest ones in India perform on this very stage--but the idiot can't keep his hormones under control."

Helen continued looking at Machhi attentively. 

"Uploaded a sex tape he created with our housemaid's daughter to the internet."

Helen looked on, shaking her head.

"Which wouldn't have been that much of an issue," said Machhi, chuckling. "Except my dad--the emotional fool that he is--considers that stupid girl to be his granddaughter."

"Bastard," said Helen.

"Sarveshaam jyotishaam jyotih prakaashaanaam prakaashakah," said Sun God, lumbering around Mr. Sunday's bed. 

"Ahmeva asmi sarvaasaam shakti raamaashrayah tathaa; anye ye cha grahaa vipraah tathaiva upagrahaah cha ye; nityam pradakshini kritya maamevaite samaashritaah," continued Sun God, turning his back away from Mr. Sunday.

"Someone told dad about the sex tape during the interval. And look how stiffly he is performing ever since. I'm sure he can't wait for the play to be over to confront Vinay," said Machhi. "And Vinay knows that dad knows. What fun!"

"And Sun God replied: I'm the basic source, center, and shelter," spoke the voice-over artist, translating Sun God's last line. "The light of all lights and the illuminator of all illuminators. All other planets, subplanets, and celestial bodies take rounds around me and exist under me and because of me."

"Anyway, back to us: if Vinay has offered you a role or something like that, you are not landing it for sure." said Machhi. 

Helen plucked out her ticket, squinted at the seat number printed on it, and then got up and started walking away from Machhi.

 "But if you audition with Machhi..." said Machhi, following her. "...you definitely have a chance."

Helen occupied the corner seat of the last row. Machhi occupied the seat next to her, and leaned a little toward her.

"Understand one thing very clearly. No matter what you do, don't touch me, or you'll be on that hospital bed," said Helen, pointing to the set of the hospital bed on the stage.