The Evening That Changed Everything: Part 10

Image source: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5305/5694593289_ecbb97a116_o_d.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wait," said Vidya.

The attendants stopped.

Vidya approached Helen.

"You wanted to go with with your sister to a faraway place, right?" said Vidya.

Helen shook her head violently.

"No?"

Helen shook her head again.

"Are you frightened?" asked Vidya softly.

Helen nodded frantically.

"You said you are never frightened," said Vidya, stroking Helen's hair. "But now you are frightened, eh?"

Helen nodded vigorously.

"Did you understand what I told you in the car?"

Helen nodded again.

"Do you believe I killed your sister or let her die on purpose?"

Helen shook her head weakly.

"That shake of the head wasn't very convincing, now, was it?" said Vidya. "Throw her in!" she said to the attendants.

Helen shook her head exaggeratedly.

"I'm still not convinced"

Helen continued shaking her head unremittingly.

"Hmm"

Vidya paused for a few moments.

"Untie her and throw her out of this place before I change my mind," Vidya said to the attendants."Londhe, keep an eye on her, and if she is ever seen in Miraghar again, repeat what I did, but don't stop where I stopped. You even know the rituals."

******

Helen boarded the last public-transport bus for the night and got off near Zephyr Medical College and Hospital after a journey of about an hour. Zephyr was located in Worli, which was originally one of the seven islands that were joined through several land reclamation projects to form the present-day city of Mumbai. Worli had evolved from being a fishing village to the city's latest hub of luxury living following the redevelopment of mills and slums--Zephyr itself being an example of a swanky, modern construction built on the land on which once stood a group of textile mills. The medical college and hospital had an imposing campus and overlooked the postcard view of Worli Sea Face--a well-maintained, expansive promenade that had a busy road on one side and the endless Arabian sea on the other, host to the iconic Bandra-Worli Sea Link, with Mumbai's skyline for a backdrop.

The Sea Face bustled with activity, with people of all ages engaged in all sorts of activities-- individuals walking, jogging, and cycling; groups strolling; and couples getting frisky. Helen entered a public toilet, rummaged through the backpack, and changed into the only combination of Karishma's clothes that fit her: a white dhoti salwar--a loose fitting lower-body dress with layers and pleats similar to that of a dhoti--and an off-white free-size T-shirt. Outside the toilet, homeless people and beggars slept on ragged mattresses. As Helen emerged from the toilet, a heavily bearded and extremely filthy homeless man sat up and gave her an intense stare. Helen hopped and wriggled, adjusting the backpack on her shoulders and sped in the direction of Zephyr's main gate, her clothes fluttering in the strong wind blowing from the sea. The man watched her for a while, and then went back to sleep.