The Evening That Changed Everything: Part 9

Helen was taken aback.

"What the hell!" said Helen.

Vidya finished frisking her.

"Get into the car," Vidya told Helen, pointing to the car Vidya had arrived in. Helen did not move.

"If she doesn't get in, force her in through one the windows," Vidya said to the bodyguards. The bodyguards advanced toward Helen.

Helen got into the backseat of the car.

"Get that body in the trunk of this car, and get the other car towed back home," said Vidya to the two bodyguards.

"Yes, madam"

"Londhe, get into the car," said Vidya calmly.

"Yes madam," said Londhe getting into the driver's seat of the car. The two bodyguards put Karishma's body in the trunk of the car. Vidya got into the backseat of the car, next to Helen.

"Crematorium," said Vidya. The car lurched forward, speeding away.

"I hope you understand what you have done," said Vidya to Helen.

"I have done nothing. What goes around comes around. Now you'll understand what it feels to be driven out of that house," said Helen to Vidya.

"Madam, should I gag her?" grunted Londhe, looking at Vidya in the rear-view mirror.

Vidya shook her head.

"Gagging me won't change anything," sneered Helen.

"If you utter a single word against madam...!" said Londhe.

"Let her speak," said Vidya.

Helen looked at Londhe triumphantly. "This so called Bhoir Mansion that this bitch is now going to vacate was built and gifted to my great grandfather by the British. He used to work with them and was in charge of the entire district," said Helen. "The noble Bhoir family occupied it illegally and then fought like dogs among themselves for its ownership."

"Madam, I'll pull her tongue out!" roared Londhe.

"Let her speak. I want to know what she believes happened. I want to close this chapter today, once and for all," said Vidya calmly.

"Let's hear your side of the story," she said to Helen.

"We took refuge in the servant quarters," Helen continued, addressing Londhe. "My parents didn't have a child for several years, so they adopted didi, who was our maid, as their daughter. Soon, I was born, bringing great bad luck to the family. My mother passed away, followed by my grandparents, and soon my father disappeared. It is said he committed suicide, but didi always denied it, possibly to protect me. Can you imagine how the two of us have grown up among these families where everyone hated us with all their might? The taunts, bullying, catcalling, and even physical abuse--in the Bhoir Mansion compound, at school, on the playground, everywhere!"

Londhe did not say anything.

"Oh, and add to that the fact that didi suffered from anorexia and had a hormonal disorder."

Vidya listened silently.

Helen drew a sharp breath. "And this bitch had no guts to drive us away from the servant quarters because she saw a political advantage in it. This area is heavily populated with Agris and Kolis with Brahmans in the minority. So she started posing as the messiah of the Brahmans in Miraghar and graciously allowed us to stay in her compound, so to speak, right along with her. Which is also why Bhau offered didi that menial job in that drama theater in his constituency."