The Evening That Changed Everything: Part 8

A scream rang out--it was the little girl. Helen shut her eyes tightly, whimpering. Machhi's stance loosened, and he gave out an exaggerated laughter.

After a few moments, Gharad emerged from the darkness at a distance, dragging the girl along.

Helen scrabbled for a handhold and tried to hoist herself up, but lost her balance and fell to the ground. Then she weakly sat on the ground.

Gharad came close to Machhi and the men.

"She was about to get into a bus," said Gharad, letting go of the little girl, whose face had become puffy.

The girl looked at Helen. Helen lowered her eyes. The girl walked up to Helen.

"I'm so sorry my dear," said Helen. The girl stroked Helen's hair, shaking her head.

"Go back in the car," said Machhi to the little girl.

The girl hugged Helen tightly.

"Now!" said Machhi, the pitch of his voice suddenly rising. "And take those ridiculous wings off."

The girl broke the embrace, took off the wings, handed them over to Helen, turned around, and set off in the direction of the car.

Machhi knelt close to Helen, eyeing her body in mad passion.

"I can't wait to own that body."

Helen made a movement inside her mouth and pursed her lips. Then looking up at Machhi, she sprayed his face with a wad of spit.

Machhi recoiled slightly, his eyes shutting impulsively.

He slowly opened his eyes.

"I'm soon sucking that saliva right from your mouth," growled Machhi. "Wait for it."

An SUV approached the gathering and stopped at a distance. Vidya alighted from the vehicle with a couple of female bodyguards and started walking toward Bhau.

Machhi wiped his face with a handkerchief and got up on his feet and started walking toward Bhau.

"You are going to get into big trouble one day," Bhau reprimanded Machhi.

"The gun wasn't loaded," said Machhi. "And Gharad runs like his ass is on fire."

Vidya approached Bhau.

"Ah, finally a family reunion after a decade!" exclaimed Bhau, beaming exaggeratedly. Vidya looked at him contemptibly.

"Tai! How are you my dear? You don't send me rakhis anymore. You don't miss your little cousin, now, do you?"

"Listen, I have no hand in her death, nor was I trying to plant her body here. When we discovered she is dead, I tried to dispose of her body in the crematorium, but this little bitch pulled a knife on Londhe and made her take the route to Mumbai, probably for a postmortem in that big-ass hospital she studies in or works in or whatever," said Vidya.

"Yeah, yeah, we know that already, but did you know Londhe baby tried killing your poor little cousin a while ago?" said Bhau.

Vidya looked at Londhe. Londhe made eye contact but did not react further.

"So that'll be extra, but first...Gharad?" said Bhau.

"Brahman girl whom Vidya Bhoir had given shelter in her servant quarter, found dead in her car. Vidya Bhoir held as a murder suspect," said Gharad.

"You won't do it. You know that very well," said Vidya calmly to Bhau.

Bhau paused for a moment.

"You are smart. And lucky. And right," said Bhau emphatically. "No, I won't get these photos published in tomorrow's newspapers purely because your stupid party is in alliance with mine, and each of us needs to get re-elected as corporator from our respective constituencies..."

Vidya heaved a muted sigh.

"...but on one minor little condition," continued Bhau.

"What?"

"You know it," teased Bhau.

"No, I don't."

"You know it," said Bhau in a childlike manner, moving his head from side to side.

"No I don't; now come off it," said Vidya petulantly.

"You will vacate Bhoir Mansion, so that the rightful heir finally ascends the throne," said Bhau, raising both hands dramatically.

Vidya's face turned pale. "I...I am the rightful heir," she stammered.

"You are a woman, tai. You should've got married. You should've left the house. Since you didn't, we had to. But you forgot one thing: karma is a bigger bitch than you," said Bhau, his tone now suddenly icy.

"You have remained an idiot. You could have continued working with me as part of Ekveera Sena, but you became greedy. And today we have two constituencies instead of what would've been the single largest in Miraghar," retorted Vidya. "And you underestimate us women too much, and that'll bring you down one day, mark my words."

"Ah, tai, why are we discussing domestic matters in front of these outsiders? Now that I'm moving in, let's meet at Bhoir Mansion. We can discuss these things while I help you shift your stuff out," said Bhau, his eyes glinting.

"I'm not going anywhere," blustered Vidya.

"Okay, then let's hear the views of the election commission," said Bhau, plucking out his mobile phone.

"Wait," said Vidya, moving her gaze to Helen.

Bhau chortled with glee.

"I'll need a month," said Vidya, glowering at Helen.

"You have two days," said Bhau.

"But..." said Vidya.

Helen snorted in amusement.

"Come let's go," said Bhau to his associates. "Gharad?"

"Vidya Bhoir celebrates first-cousin Bhau's re-election; gifts him Bhoir Mansion," said Gharad.

"Bingo. You are getting to be quite good at this," said Bhau.

Gharad blushed, wobbling his head vigorously.

"Now you can go and cremate that hairy bitch," said Bhau to Vidya.

Helen scowled at Bhau.

"Ah, look at the fire in those eyes! Why don't you give your sister that look? It'll save tai a trip to the crematorium," said Bhau, setting off toward his office. His associates cracked up.

Vidya walked up to Helen and started frisking her all of a sudden.