The Evening That Changed Everything: Part 6

Getting up on his feet, Bhau limped toward the dead body, took a good look at it, got off the street, and sank in a chair on the sidewalk, drawing long breaths. His associates ran toward him. Helen opened the back door, got out of the car carrying the backpack and her purse, and wobbled toward Karishma's dead body.

Londhe staggered out of the car in a daze and leaned against the side of the bonnet.

Helen knelt down on the ground and rested Karishma's head on her lap, looking fixedly at her face.

"You filthy whores! Just passing by, were you?" huffed Bhau, blood beginning to drip from a wound to his forehead. One of his associates handed him a handkerchief, which he held to the wound.

A few moments passed.

Bhau's breathing started steadying.

"Call Vidya here," said Bhau, addressing Londhe. "Right now"

Londhe thought for a moment and took out her mobile phone. She walked a few steps away from Bhau and his associates and had a minute-long conversation on her mobile phone. Then she slowly walked toward Bhau.

"She will be on her way soon"

"Sit down"

"I'm good," said Londhe warily.

"I didn't say you may sit if you like," said Bhau. "Sit her down if she doesn't sit on her own," Bhau said to his associates.

Londhe looked over to Bhau's associates. Then she sat down on the street, near the sidewalk.

"Help me understand this," said Bhau scratching his beard. "So you try to plant Karishma Karmarkar's body in my constituency and accuse me of the murder? Is that it?"

Londhe did not react.

Bhau burst out laughing. "And whose master plan was this? Dhanu's?!"

Londhe remained silent.

"Who is that girl?" said Bhau, pointing toward Helen.

"Helen, Karishma's sister," said Londhe.

"Holy shit!" exclaimed Bhau, knitting his brows. He thought for a few moments.

"Call Machhi here right now," said Bhau to one of his men. The man dialed a number on his mobile phone and had a short conversation.

"He was already on his way here," said the man. "Reaching in five minutes"

"Gharad, what would've been the headlines in tomorrow's newspaper if this ridiculous plan had worked?" Bhau asked an associate.

"Brahman girl whom Bhau had mercifully got a job in Agriwada at Machhindra Patil's dad's drama theater, found dead outside Bhau's office. Bhau held as a murder suspect," said Gharad.

"I said headline, not the complete article. Cut out the love for your friend and say it again," said Bhau. Gharad gave a mischievous smile. "Brahman girl whom Bhau had mercifully got a job in Agriwada, found dead outside Bhau's office. Bhau held as a murder suspect."

"Bhau, and what about the fancy dress competition?" asked one of his associates.

"Oh yes! Let's redo this." said Bhau, scratching his head for a moment.

"Tai sent Londhe to judge the fancy-dress competition, Londhe denied Helen the prize, Karishma was so shocked she died, Helen got mad at Londhe, Londhe got mad at the dead body, tai got mad at everyone. So what do we do now?"

Bhau looked at his associates for an answer. "Anyone?"

The associates started grinning among themselves, as if anticipating a punchline soon.