45: Love Reunited

Akimi was hurt.

Bertholdt wasn't a doctor, but he knew one's face wasn't supposed to be screwed up the entire time of their journey. He asked her twice if they should turn back have Eren and Hanji look at her, but Akimi shook her head fiercely and kept pointing towards, presumably Suna.

So Bertholdt picked up the pace as much as he could, slowly down to a walk when he couldn't handle it anymore. Then, he'd regain his strength and run as fast as he could, Akimi's arm telling him the direction they were to go. She had a compass and map in her hands, so Bertholdt would follow her signals and take her home in no time.

But that didn't help Akimi at all. She seemed fine before. Why was she in pain?

Bertholdt didn't know. He kept running.

In Titan form, he successfully got Akimi to a large city, where people quickly approached them, recognizing Akimi. Bertholdt looked on in confusion, but thankfully, no one tried to kill him, which was surprising, since he was an enormous threat. Guards standing outside had tripled and were insisting that he didn't move. Instead, he sat down on the ground in the sea of sand and watched people carry Akimi inside the city. He huffed impatiently and waited for news.

"He's a friend," Akimi gasped out, digging her hands into Baki who was conveniently with the patrol men outside of Suna. "A friend!"

"It's okay, we know," another person replied.

"Stay calm. You need to be examined."

Akimi couldn't answer. She was in so much pain. She didn't even remember the twins.

"Lord Gaara! Lady Akimi has returned!" A messenger all but screamed as he barged into the meeting room. There was no time to be wasted. Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro promptly left the meeting and ran the rest of the way to designated hospital room. However, they had couldn't go in, as Akimi was strapped to a mobile bed and rolled right into the Emergency Room.

The red light was on.

Gaara stared hollowly at the empty corridor, the chattering and yelling all but a blur behind him. So close, yet so far. What was wrong? Was she injured? Attacked?

"Lord Gaara, your children are in children wing being examined," a doctor said, running to the Sand Siblings. "It will take a few moments, so please wait until then."

"Of course."

"Lord Gaara, a friend of Lady Akimi's brought her home!"

"Where is he?" Kankuro asked, the messenger practically jumping.

"He's outside! He's still there! And he's a giant!" 

Gaara spun on his heel and headed out to meet this "giant" friend who had brought his wife home. Through the windows of the hall, he spotted an enormous giant sit out in the open, no skin, just muscles. He quickened his pace. He needed answers and he needed them now.

While Gaara headed outside where the giant was waiting, he realized just how large this creature was. The giant sat cross-legged and stared over the city, its torso several meters above the city protective walls. If this giant stood up...one step was all it took to put this city to ruins.

Just how was Akimi able to make friends with such an impressive being? Gaara wondered. As he drew closer, he noticed several patrol men were attempting to speak to the giant. However, the giant's attention was at the hopsital.

"Lord Gaara! This is the giant who brought Lady Akimi home!" A new patrol ninja called to him.

"I see that." Sand gathered around his feet and elevated him upwards, towards the giant's face. "Can you speak?"

The giant stared at the small man standing on floating sand. No response was given.

"Perhaps it can't talk?" Kankuro wondered.

"Then how did Akimi make friends with it?"

"Don't know."

Realizing he wouldn't get anything from this giant, Gaara tried a different approach. "Can you understand me?"

At this, the giant gave a slow, deliberate nod. Several people cheered down below.

"First and foremost, I want to thank you for bringing Akimi home," Gaara continued, holding the giant's gaze. "Thank you for bringing her home safe."

The giant nodded again once more, then got to his feet. Everyone stared bewildered at the creature, some getting ready to fight. However, instead of attacking, the giant started heading back from wherever it came from.

"Thank you!"

"We really appreciate it!"

As the ninjas and civilians alike waved goodbye to the departing giant, Gaara sighed and lowered himself back down to the ground. Just as he touched the ground, a nurse came running.

"Sir! The check up is done, would you like to see your children?" The man said, excitedly. "They both are healthy, but we do need to set up profiles for them. However, you can go ahead and look at them."

"How is Akimi?"

"Still in the ER, sir."

Gaara inhaled and exhaled slowly. He needed to patient. Just a little longer. He needed to trust in his doctors--doctors Akimi had trained--and let them do their job. He could wait a bit longer

"Take me to my children."