22: Love

Author's POV

In two weeks, Akimi had taken Elizabeth's "Quest for Love" session everyday. She wrote endless letters directed to Gaara in a beautiful notebook Elizabeth gave her and spoke with Elizabeth about her feelings towards other people, friends, and of course, Gaara. After the first week, Akimi felt an eagerness inside her chest growing. She knew for sure, she loved Gaara romantically. Her feelings had gotten mixed up with the the friendship and family love, but thanks to Elizabeth, she knew how she felt towards Gaara.

I love you, Gaara, and I'll tell that to you as soon as I get home, she wrote, smiling happily.

"Akimi-san, your carriage is ready," Sebastian announced, just as Akimi stowed her notebook away.

"Carriage? But I didn't--"

"Just another show of young master's appreciation," the demon butler replied. "And thank you for your stay."

"No problem," Akimi said. "Give Ciel my regards, yes?"

"Young master will be seeing you off," Sebastian said.

Akimi was sent off smoothly and towards home. I'm coming home, Gaara!

Meanwhile, Gaara approached his older siblings with an air of confidence that he had built over the weeks. "Temari, I'm going to do it."

"Good choice," Temari praised. "By the way, did you get a ring?"

"Yes, I did," Gaara replied, taking out the ring box. "I think it suits Matsuri very well."

"Perfect, Matsuri is going to love it," Temari smiled, admiring the blue gem shining back.

"I also received a message from Lady Tsunade about Shikamaru coming to run errands in the village in a day or so," Gaara added.

"Thanks, Gaara. Make sure your marriage proposal goes well!" Temari said.

"No, I'm going to need Shikamaru's and your help," Gaara admitted.

"Okay, what of you have in mind?" Temari grinned.

A day later, Akimi arrived back in the Sand Village. Although she felt a bit shy, she wanted to let Gaara know she loved him. Looking back, I realize I had never said that before. Regret choked her, but she forced herself to move forward. I'll be sure to tell him! I swear it!

"Akimi! You're home!" Kankuro yelled, spotting the girl. "Welcome back!"

"Thanks, Kankuro," Akimi replied. "Uh, do you know where Gaara is?"

"Gaara? He went to do some train Matsuri," Kankuro added.

"I see. Think I could jump in and chat briefly with him?"

"I don't see why not. I'll take you to the training grounds," Kankuro offered. He led her to the West side of the village, pointing to the into figures in the distance.

"Thanks!" Akimi began running towards the two. As she grew closer, she slowed down, so as not to accidentally barrel into either of them when she noticed--

Akimi's eyes widened in surprise.

--Gaara handing Matsuri a ring.

"Lord Gaara?" Akimi called, alerting the two to her.