43: Unopened Letters

Dear Gaara,

It's been such a long time since, my kidnapping? Yeah, let's call it that. I miss you, your snug bug hugs, your kisses, your reassuring presence, your love, your comfort, your warmth, your "fantastic" black eyeliner...

Joking all aside, I do miss you. I want you to be with me. You missed the twins' delivery. But that's alright. Not every father will be able to be there to watch a child be pushed through an open-cut womb. There's a word for this! Despite being a doctor, I'm forgetting the proper word for external delivery. The one where you have to cut open the womb, take out the organs, put them on a tray, and do the delivery of the child(ren). Whatever.

Anyways, that was my pregnancy. Actually, delivery. I had to be sliced open (medically, of course!), my organs had to be removed, and the babies were taken out in that form. It's pretty interesting. Think about all those children who wouldn't have made it if doctors didn't think of a second or third option.

I know you don't know my two doctors Hanji and Eren, but they are really good friends of mine who helped with the delivery. I broke Eren's hand six times. Yes, six times. He has a very high pain tolerance level. Probably because he was so used to inflicting pain on himself... his body heals itself instantly. That's how I ended up breaking his poor hand...yeah.

Anyways! You should see our children! They are so squishy and cute. I know we were stuck on names, and I just call them "You." "You little girl" or "You little boy." I really want us to officially name them once the war is over and we're back in Suna in our home again.

I love the twins. They aren't identical, but that's okay. Our daughter has your bright red hair, and our son has a shade darker. It's almost burgundy, like brown and red with a touch of purple. Our daughter is the elder, by the way. They both have quite personalities, Gaara-personalities!

I wish you could see them. Our girl's making puckered faces at me, and her little brother is chewing her blanket. Hanji said although they aren't too active like some children, they should be swaddled. They look like such cute mummies!

I'm currently with the remains of the traveling Corps. Or whatever they call themselves. They've got ex-Captain Levi as the leader. Ex-soldiers of the Corps also have taken up various duties, such as teaching, guarding, trading, and so on and so forth.

The mothers around camp are a great help. They have a really cool system and offered to include me. Since I'm still recovering from my surgical delivery, I need plenty of rest. I don't have a lot of strength to take care of the kids, so every night, two moms come in to my tent and help take care of the kids. Eren is a great help, and does regular weekly checkup on the twins as well.

I am often tired, more tired than I should be. Hanji and Eren say it's the stress, panic, and delivery rolled into one, and it grew worse because I didn't have time or energy to vent any of my stress. I'm currently on vitamins and medication, and I'm also napping almost as much as the twins, it's pretty relaxing.

I still can't believe the twins are with me right now. They are so adorable and precious. Our children. I still can't get over it! Even though it's been days, I'm still marveling over them and how uncanny the likeness in you they have. It's so precious, and I can't say that enough.

I miss you like so so so much! It's super annoying waking up and seeing an empty bed (well, sometimes you leave earlier than I do), but I always relished in your presence whenever you lingered a bit longer in bed with me. I want this war to be over. I want you to see the twins. I want you to hold me close.

Heck, I'm venting pretty bad. I'm still stuck in bed. Don't worry, I can move! I definitely don't have energy in my body, but my brain has plenty! However, Eren and Hanji aren't taking risks and have me in bed nearly 70% of the time. I am so tired of staying in bed!

There's a saying that children are the worse patients, or a stubborn patient is the worst, but that's wrong. A doctor knows how to scare a patient in undergoing a treatment or taking medication, but it's quite hard for a doctor to convince another doctor to take treatments or medication. See, a doctor knows what's heathy and what's not, what's good for pregnancy, diabetes, vomiting, stomach aches, poisoning, various cancer, bronchitis...etc. When two doctors understand the same problem, have the same education, but have two different ways to go about solving the issue, the patient becomes the most stubborn human being on the face of this earth.

...yeah.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm that patient.

Your loving wife,
Akimi

Since Akimi the Traveling Corps didn't have a long-distance mail delivery system, her letter to Gaara remained tucked between the sleeping mat and the floor.

It never reached him either.