He glanced in my direction and his lips spread into a wide grin. Coming to a halt, he faced me and offered an exaggerated bow.

Naturally, I imitated him and sank into a deep curtsy, one fit for royalty. When I lifted my gaze, Mr. Leith had tucked his sketchbook under his arm and clapped his hands together. He appeared so happy, I wondered how often he was mocked or bullied because he was unable to hear.

"Mr. Leith," I said, moving forward. I held my hand out as though we were old friends. "I am delighted to see you today."

 Mr. Leith's head tilted as he clasped my hand with his. For the briefest moment, his forehead creased with a puzzled frown. Of course. He didn't understand me and reading lips was a talent that took years to master.

How was I supposed to communicate with him? Did he know how to write and read?

As if he had the same idea, Mr. Leith pulled his hand from mine and brought his sketchbook out. He used his charcoal to write something and then he held the book up for me. It is a lovely day, Miss Nelson.

Wait. How did he know my name? Lady Leith had only said I was her maid when I was first introduced to him. Had one of the servants told him?

The charcoal pencil wobbled in front of me as Mr. Letih encouraged me to take it from him. It was something my brother would have done when he was impatient with my slowness. Forcing away the rush of sadness, I accepted the pencil, though I was uncertain what I would say in response.

It is, Mr. Leith. I have been contemplating how I could solve the maze.

His lips spread in a grin as he read my words. And yet you have not stepped through the entrance, he wrote in answer. His brown eyes had a twinkle of amusement in them. Sometimes one must press forward to solve a problem.

How true that was! Though he offered the pencil to me once more, the snap of a twig behind me made me spin around. Miss Webber, the woman who looked after Mr. Leith's needs, walked towards me. There was a pinched expression on her face.

"Oh, Nelson," she said, disapproval in her voice. "I am surprised to find Mr. Leith with you."

 "His path and mine intersected here," I said, resisting the urge to scowl at her. Her words implied this was a planned meeting, and nothing could be further from the truth. "He and I were admiring the fine day."

 The furrow in her brow deepened. "Are you mocking me? That is not possible."

"Indeed it is. Mr. Leith and I have been communicating with his sketchpad," I said, puzzled about why she took offence. Realizing how rude it was to have my back to Mr. Leith when he could not know what I was saying, I turned so that he was on my right and Miss Webber on my left. The young man glanced between us. "Did you require him for something?"

"I find your tone impertinent, Nelson," Miss Webber said, ignoring my question. Nelson? Our roles made us equals, so there should have been a polite 'Miss'. "Do you expect to improve your lot in life by attaching yourself to Mr. Simon?"

It took all of my self control not to laugh out loud. That was her suspicion? "Nothing could be further from the truth, Miss Webber, I do assure you," I said with a smile.

"Your amusement is unseemly. I just caught you lingering with him unchaperoned as though you wished to be caught out! It is obvious what your intentions are, so there is no need for such prevarication."

A laugh escaped me before I could stop it. I'd heard many ridiculous things since I became a maid, and this could well be the most unbelievable. "Your imagination runs wild, but we are being rude. Mr. Leith has been left in the dark about this conversation. Allow me to enlighten him so he may share in this entertaining idea."