16

A week had passed since Logan snuck out to see Virgil, and ever since that night he had seemed a lot more distant than usual. The two of them still texted each other, but Virgil only really spoke to him through the group chat they had with Patton. They hadn't spent time together after school at all, even with Patton, and Logan was worried that he had done something wrong.

It was entirely possible, since Virgil had already been upset the night they met up. Logan had surely been no help to him, being bad with his own emotions and even worse at handling others'. Then of course, there was the way Virgil had snapped at him when Logan asked too many questions. Was it possible he was still upset with him over that?

Logan knew it was silly to jump to conclusions and assume that the reason Virgil seemed distant was because he was angry, but he couldn't seem to stop thinking about it. The more he thought about it, the more it seemed to make sense. Logan could have easily said something he didn't even realize was the wrong thing to say. It wouldn't be the first time this had happened, but it would be the first time he accidentally hurt someone he cared for. Logan would feel awful if that were the case.

Glancing at his clock for the thousandth time that night, Logan groaned as he saw the time. It was late, but he knew he wouldn't be getting any sleep unless he finally solved his problem. Sitting up, Logan grabbed his phone from his nightstand. He knew Virgil would be awake. He was always up late, even if they had school the next day.

Logan: Hello, Virgil. Sorry for texting you so late. I was wondering if we could meet up tomorrow. I would like to talk.

Logan stared down at his phone with shaking hands, wondering what Virgil would say. He saw the bubble come up to tell him he was typing something, waiting anxious for his response. As he watched, the bubble disappeared, but no text came. It started again, Logan frowning as he begged him to just send the text already.

Virgil: sure. what do we need to talk about? is something wrong?

Logan immediately felt guilty for phrasing his text that way. Of course, he should have known that it would worry Virgil. Quickly, Logan typed an explanation. He hoped he hadn't worried Virgil too much.

Logan: Everything is fine. I just wanted to see you. We have not spoken much recently.

Virgil: oh. yeah, sorry

Logan: It is alright. Do not worry. You should get some sleep, Virgil.

Virgil: i'll try. you get some too, okay?

Logan: I will. See you tomorrow.

Virgil: see ya.

Logan sighed, dragging a hand down his face. What was he even going to say to Virgil when they met up tomorrow? Why did he even bring it up? Logan shook his head at himself, shutting off his phone and setting it back onto his nightstand. He laid back down, telling himself not to think about it. He would figure that out when it happened.

Instead, Logan thought back to that night they had spent in the park together. A small smile spread across his face as he relaxed, allowing himself to drift off.

****

Logan felt nervous as he approached the coffee shop he and Virgil had agreed to meet at, his hands shaking slightly. He drew in a shaky breath, still unsure as to why he was so nervous. Virgil wasn't angry at him, right? Why would he be?

He slowly pushed open the front door, stepping inside and spotting Virgil already sitting down. He made his way over to him, smiling over as he looked up. Virgil returned his smile as Logan sat down across from him, not noticing his nervousness yet.

"So, what's up? I know you didn't just wanna meet for no reason." Virgil looked at Logan, who froze. He wasn't expected to immediately start talking about things. He had at least hoped they could talk about something else for a little while.

"I do just like hanging out with you for no reason sometimes." Logan frowned. "But, yes... I did have something to talk about."

"And, that is...?" Virgil prompted, raising a brow at him.

"Well, I have just noticed that you have been... distant, lately. You do not speak with me much, even over text. I was... worried. That something was wrong, or that I had somehow upset you." Logan explained, looking at the table.

"Oh." Virgil muttered, frowning. "I'm sorry, Logan. I didn't even realize I was doing that. You didn't do anything, though. It's just... well, it's just me. I haven't been doing all that great lately."

Virgil shrugged, sighing and tracing shapes on the table. "I don't really want to talk about the reason, but it's nice of you to think of me. I... I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" Logan asked, reaching over the table to hold Virgil's hand. Virgil looked up at him, offering a small grin.

"Positive. Sorry for making you think I was mad, or something." He apologized, Logan shaking his head to dismiss it.

"It is fine. I was the one assuming things when I should not have. But Virgil, if things get too bad for you to handle, and you need someone to talk to... I am always here. No matter what, I will be here." Logan told him, smiling slightly. Virgil nodded.

"Yeah. Thanks, Logan."

We're getting suuppeeerrr close to the angst in the story and I'm so excited, I've literally planned this scene in my head about ten billion times

What do you thinks going on with Virgil? Do you like this book so far? What has been the cutest moment between the two? Anything I need to work on? Please, let me know!!!!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed this. Take care of yourselves. Love you guys. Bye!-Bob