Prologue

"We're moving back." He tells me. I jump up into the air with joy. Back to Riverside Hills, where all of my friends are. Back to Riverside Hills, where Sam is. 

                                         "Finally! You gave into all of my begging and pleading!" I cheer. I dance around the kitchen, which is so bland compared to our kitchen back in Ohio. We're lucky we still own that house. 

                                            "Piper... that's not exactly the reason why we're moving back." My father says, pushing my shoulders down so I can sit down in the chair. I gulp. 

                                                  "Why? Did you get relocated there?" I ask. I cross my fingers and close my eyes, praying hard that it isn't what I think it is. 

                                            "Pumpkin, I've proposed to Elizabeth. We're getting married." He says. I uncross my fingers and open my eyes. I feel like crying. Elizabeth Maver.

                            Elizabeth Maver, who tries to replace my mother. Dad says that she just wants to get closer to me, so that we could be like mother and daughter, but nobody could replace Mom. She died a couple years back, and I haven't gotten over it. Elizabeth Maver is going to be my step-mother. 

                                          "Okay," I say, my voice squeaky and my eyes wet with tears. I burst up from the table and run all the way upstairs.

                                             I whip out my phone, then realize I have nobody to text. I have nobody else to help me. So I slink down in a corner of my room, just wishing that maybe Dad was kidding. Maybe he's just messing with me. I feel like screaming. I don't like Elizabeth Maver. 

                                                 I want to go home, but I don't know where home is.