Chapter 3

Yes, Elizabeth got us a dog. My father always wanted a dog, but his parents would never let him have one as a child. He wanted to adopt one, but knew he wouldn't have enough time to take care of it, and when he really wanted one he knew I was too young to take care of one all by myself. Now that I'm older and Elizabeth is moving in with us, we'll be able to have a dog. 

                      My dad was so excited when he came home. The dog jumped all over him and he was ecstatic about it. Since Elizabeth is allergic, we got a hypoallergenic Wheaten Terrier. It's not that popular of a breed but it's as cute as fuck. Plus, they're easy to potty train, Right now our dog is small and black, but when she gets older she'll be tan. We named her Sammy.

                          The two weeks pass by quickly. Elizabeth informed me that she also got the dog so I wouldn't feel so alone. She has good intentions, but I still don't think of her as a motherly figure. The two weeks that I was grounded for mostly consisted of lectures by my father and teaching the dog to adjust to the Invisible Fence.

                           "You are no longer grounded, but you have to promise never to do anything like that ever again. Promise?" My father asks. I nod. It's 7:30 in the morning on a Thursday, and Kate is driving me to school. I grab everything and go.

                               "Homecoming is this weekend," Kate says, "Are you going?"

                          "No. Nobody asked me and I don't have a group," I sigh. 

                          "I wish you could come with Michael and I, but that would just be awkward." She tells me. I nod. Michael Yaret asked her last week, which really wasn't much of a surprise. It's obvious that he likes her.

                           "I'll just stay home with Dad and Elizabeth. We'll order Chinese food, and Sammy will sit on my lap as we have a Disney movie marathon. It'll be nice." I say, but Kate can see the sense of longing on my face.

                              "Whose Sam going with?" She asks.

                           "He was originally going with Penelope Eldernook, but then he broke it off. Besides, he'd never ask me. Not after the waterfall thing. And it's in two days and I don't have a dress." I explain. 

                           "I wish I could do something..." Kate says, her voice trailing off as we park in the sophomore lot. 

                             "Is it true that sophomores and up can go to Prom this year? I thought it was only seniors, since our school is really big." I question her. She nods.

                               "Yup. Sophomores and up can go. Maybe you can get a date for Prom, or ask a guy to the Sadie Hawkins Dance." Kate suggests. I perk up and nod. 

                               Sadie's is a huge deal here in Riverside. That's because, in honor of the feminist Sadie Hawkins, the girls ask the guys to the dance. It's supposed to be really fun, too. It isn't super formal like Prom either. It's kind of "Country Club Style", I guess you could say. It's cute. I remember watching the older girls on my street take pictures as a little kid. Same with Homecoming and Prom, but I remember Sadie's the most.

                             I didn't go to Sadie's as a freshman, since I didn't have the guts to ask Sam. That was in the spring, when we were as close as ever. I went to Homecoming with a group of girls, and that was really fun. But I don't really have a group of girls to go with, and it's too late to corral some and go. Besides, my dad, Elizabeth, Sammy, and I will have a really fun night together on Saturday. I'm not even gonna check my Instagram or Twitter, cause that'll just make me feel bad.